Won't Start

Charlie

Ok, so my pathfinder has been utterly reliable, untill.....now. I drove it home last night without a hiccup, and this morning, went to start it, and.........nothing. Not even a click. The radio works, the windows roll down, everything works, except the starter. My question is, where is the neutral safety switch? also where is the starter solenoid? these are the two things I would like to check first, as they seem the most logical. Thanks in advance. Also, its a 1988 WD21. :thumbsdown:

Auto or Manual tranny?

Check the connections at the battery as well....make sure they're tight and clean.

The safety switch is on the clutch pedal if it's a manual tranny. The solenoid is on the starter.

I did cycle through the gears and it had no effect. I think it could be the starter. I will try to jump it tomorow. What gets me, is that it didn't give any signs of going out. Heres how it went. I drove the truck about 20 miles to a Chilli's for a b-day party, and parked it in the parking lot. Rode with a friend to an after party, that friend drove me back to my truck. It started fine drove to the gas station, got gas, started fine again. Got home parked it in the drive way and went to bed. Went to go to work the next morning and nothing. Thats why I was questioning the safety switch.

Edited by Charlie

This may sound obvious, but it's the simple things that I miss and some people don't know about this. Have you tried starting it while in Neutral, not Park. This would tell me if it's the neutral safety switch. Obviously if it starts in Neutral but not in Park, something has worn out. If neither of these positions work, it still could be the neutral safety switch or the starter solenoid. If it is the starter solenoid, it may be premature failure due to oil dripping on it from filter changes. You might want to relocate that filter if you find this to be true, you might want to relocate it anyway to prevent this from happening.]

Hope this helps,

Semper Fi

Like Simon said, that will only work for awhile. The first time mine went I got about 2 weeks of banging it. The second time the starter went I got a less than a day on it, about 4-5 starts.

• 2 weeks later...
Like Simon said, that will only work for awhile. The first time mine went I got about 2 weeks of banging it. The second time the starter went I got a less than a day on it, about 4-5 starts.

It's been like two weeks and it still works fine, and I haven't had to hit it again. I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Edited by Charlie

it'll work until it gets back to that spot...unless maybe you just accidentally jiggled the 2 wires and it fixed it for now...but usually then you have to start banging on them they go out the window at the most inopportune time...maybe put the tools and a spare starter in the back of the truck in case you have to change it in a parking lot

yeah, well, the starter gave it's last hurrah today in the driveway. It cranked for a split second, and then promptly died. Checker had them for 130 after the core, so I picked one up. It took me like 3 hours give or take, but I got it changed and I am back on the road again. That thing was a total PITA to get out. I had to take the little shield thing off, and then rotate it around a bunch to get it off.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem with my 94 Pathfinder about a year and a half ago. This and a leaking water pump led me to parking it and it's been parked since then. I'm now in the process of trying to fix her up myself and the starter is where I'm beginning. I've heard these are a pain to remove from my particular model. I'd also say calling myself a mechanical noob is an overstatement. But I have the manual, most tools needed (I think), and the will to succeed. Any advice for me?

I had a similar problem with my 94 Pathfinder about a year and a half ago. This and a leaking water pump led me to parking it and it's been parked since then. I'm now in the process of trying to fix her up myself and the starter is where I'm beginning. I've heard these are a pain to remove from my particular model. I'd also say calling myself a mechanical noob is an overstatement. But I have the manual, most tools needed (I think), and the will to succeed. Any advice for me?

Like Charlie mentioned, it helps to take off the little shield and rotate it on its way out the front...other than that patience helps. I was on the brink of smashing one with a BFH to get it out. P... Thankfully the new one I bought from partsource had a smaller casing on it and was easy to re-install.