Body Lift Final Thoughts / Questions

statikuz

Ok, so you HAVE to bend the 4x4 lever ? am I reading all this correct ? im a bit confused on this... I have a 94 5 speed, is it going to shift ok after a 3 inch body ? what is the best on to get ? would you say that the ac one was good, or is there something that works better ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you have to mod the 4X4 shifter. You don't have to do anything with the normal shifter. AC is the only place that makes a body lift for your year of Pathy. In theory you could make your own from misc. parts. All it is is a Performance Accessories kit with different bolts added by AC.

Search around, man! :beer:

The AC people lie. ;) There's no Grade 8 bolts in here, they add Grade 5 bolts. :) Doesn't three lines on the head mean grade 5, and 6 lines means grade 8?

And can anyone tell me what all the little [5/16"x1"] bolts are for? I have fourteen complete bolt/washer/nut sets. Four of these are for the power steering reservoir relocation that the instructions speak of, but what about the other ten?

I also have two funky-looking brackets. [attachment] What are these for?

And one [1] pretty small bolt/washer/nut...?

Do you replace all the body mount hardware, including the nuts? Or do you just put the new bolts in and use the old nuts? I have six 3/8" nylocks that came in the kit that go with six of the body mount bolts, but the other four bolts are a little bigger. Do I use the old nuts for those?

Sorry about the ton of questions, trying to get this squared away before I take off Monday, so it'll all be ready to go when I get back. ;)

post-6-1087691155.jpg

I dont know then man ... all I remember is when I put mine on ... there was a crap load of stuff that didn't seem to go anywhere... so I just used what I thought I needed and tossed the rest ... so far so good ...

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, another dumb question... does anyone happen to have a diagram of the engine compartment with all the lines/hoses/whatnot labeled? The owner's manual doesn't help at all, and my Chilton book doesn't have anything helpful in it either. The instructions talk about unclipping brake lines and this and that, but its kinda tough if you don't know what exactly you're looking at. ;)

I thought you already got your body lift installed bro? Anyhow, There's really no need to to unclipp the brake lines that are on the firewall. Theyre are held together by white clips. My clips were brittle and didn't give when I was lifting the body so they cracked. I need to get around and get new ones.

Nah, I got it on like Thursday or so, I was out of town all last week and worked this week so far... hopefully it'll go on this weekend... grr. You should get paid time off for "working on your truck".

Alrighty, another dumb question... does anyone happen to have a diagram of the engine compartment with all the lines/hoses/whatnot labeled?

Do you think 94 manual will fit?

statikuz: Basically, anything attached to the firewall that's also attached to the frame or suspension. Follow it down and eyeball it. If it's gonna stretch when you jack the body up, unclip it so it won't. That's all you need to know, just use common sense and make sure you look it all over thoroughly.

Cool, these 2 have some, 1 was the donor of my steering stabilizer. ;)

South Hill Auto Wrecking: (253) 841-2073

Meridan Auto Wrecking: (253) 847-1922 & (253) 847-6367

Hey stay out of those recking yards, they're mine, :nono:

thats were i get my misc stuff :D

Alrighty, I'm workin' on it as we speak, but I've got a couple of questions. Bumper is off, Inner fender skirts [all torn up anyways] are gone, and I'm unbolting things at random from the firewall/frame. =) First, just out of curiosity, what is this line for? It's on the crossmember under the tranny; they were 10mm bolts... I had a 10mm socket in hand, and, well... =)

post-6-1088814103.jpg

And the other question... the steering thing. The instructions with the kit don't explain it worth crap, so I was hoping someone could tell me based on this picture. I hear about having to tap out the steering shaft or something to that effect. Where is that, and how do I fix it? ;)

post-6-1088814223.jpg

looden the nuts holding the joints on the top and bottom joints of the steering shaft and spray the crap out of them with WD-40 or the like. also, slide the rubber grommet? in the middle of the steering shaft and spray some into the slip joint there. When lifting the body, lift SLOWLY!

first off that line on your first pic is the breather hose for the tranny so it doesn't build up hot gasses and has a place for water to evaporate out of and keeps the air source above most water levels ...

secondly, I personally didn't have to extend the shaft on my Pathfinder ... just make sure that you loosen both sides of the collar, spray it like said before and lift slowly ... then when you are done, test the steering to make sure that you dont feel any binding of sorts ... if you feel a little bit, you may just have to hammer the shaft OUT a little more ... but not much ...

Alrighty, most of the lift is on. :D Install was pretty simple, for those of you that want it, expect a pretty full writeup [but only a few installation pictures] later on, but this is what went down today.

Everything went pretty much as planned. Took off the power steering resevoir, drained most of the fluid out and bought two new hoses for it, that isn't yet put back in. Drained the radiator so I could remove the upper and lower hoses, got a new upper one that should fit, and I still need to trim the bottom one.

Jacking the body up went relatively painlessly... I missed a couple of lines on the frame right below the passenger side fenderwell... they separated from their rubber-hose counterparts but are now back as one. =)

The steering shaft was the major hangup, I removed the 12mm bolts at the top and bottom of the steering shaft, and proceeded to jack up the driver's side... unfortunately the shaft didn't slide out in the middle as expected, but it did slide out at the top... all the way, and kinda fell, which alerted me to its presence. =) Luckily I had marked the spline where it went in, so realignment wasn't an issue. I tried tapping the two pieces apart, but that didn't work worth crap, so I lined the shaft back up, jacked the body back DOWN, put back in the two bolts, cranked em down nice and tight, and jacked back up again.

QUESTION: After all of that, the shaft only separated about 1/4" or so in the middle, and about 1/16" at the power steering gearbox down on the frame. Is this about right?

Anyway, so I decided that jigging a bit with the steering wheel might coax the shaft out more... so I did... but unfortunately still had the power steering hoses / resevoir disconnected. Power steering fluid all on the floor. Sweet. ;)

But other than that, everything looks okay. Still have to deal with the fuel filler line / vent hose, and get the body bolts in the back to line up, they're not quite right. Check to make sure I have all the washers and whatnot on, locktite the metric bolts, check over the engine compartment to make sure there isn't anything disconnected that I don't know about, remount the power steering resevoir, bleed the steering, refill it, trim the bottom radiator hose, fix the top one, refill the radiator, and add some more windshield wiper fluid. I'm low on that. =) There's probably stuff I forgot, but I'm tired... expect more stuff tomorrow! :D

Thanks for all of your guys' help, help with the steering and whatnot, help with unbolting stuff, etc. And 88, your T-master guide was out there too. ;) It has... um... character stains on it now. =)

post-6-1088917635.jpg

How you extended your shaft is fine. There was plenty of slack in splines on both ends of the shaft. As long as the joints have enough "bite" on the splines, you're ok. In other words, You're okay! Make sure you tighten them bolts down when you're done.

Alrighty, update from the home front. =)

Managed to get all ten body bolts in with some persuasion and a couple of jacks. :) Those are all tightened down... remounted the power steering reservoir and reconnected those hoses... cut the fuel filler line and extended it with the little pipe they give you. Fuel vent hose they sent seems to be a little too small, its 1/2" and it looks like I need like a 9/16" or so cuz it just won't quite fit over the neck. =( Haven't yet dealt with the radiator either, the bottom hose needs to come off and be trimmed down a little. The upper hose I got at NAPA isn't quite right, it has a bend in it that prevents it from curving nicely, just when it gets where it needs to go, it creases. =( Still have to go around the frame and try to remember everything that I unbolted and see if it can be rebolted... I've got a whole lot of 10mm bolts just laying around here. :)

Everything else looks alright, I did remember to remove the safety loop thing and am deciding whether or not I want to put it back on, I think I'm just going to ditch it.

Also deliberating whether or not to take off the stock nerf bars... they look downright dumb now and are the first things that are gonna go [right into my rocker panels] when I hit a rock or something. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!