Trip From Los Angeles

GreenEnvy94Pathy

So I picked up another one of my lucky finds in Los Angeles... a 1 owner '94 Path, SE with leather with just 100k on the odo. I flew in on Friday and picked it up to drive home. When I was driving through the Angels Crest Mountains on the 5 towards Sacramento I heard the electric fan come on which was kinda weird to me because the engine temp was only at about a 1/4 of the way. It proceeded to stay on almost my whole trip to Reno.

It was really weird because with the fan on, I could literally feel my power decrease significantly, especially with the AC on. So when I got to Reno to stay the night, I got to my hotel room and hung out for a while to let the PF rest. I then drove around a little with the AC off, and the engine fan would intermittently turn on and off during driving. When the engine fan turns on I have about ZERO power, its pathetic. But when it is off it runs just fine. So I don't know what to do!

The next morning I drove the rest of the way home, and I ran the AC from Reno to Winnemucca, which is about 175 miles I was getting crap mileage, and the engine fan would cycle on and off. I started to keep track by mileage and it seemed to stay on anywhere from 10 to 20 miles and then turn off for only about 3-5. I was only averaging about 230 miles to a tank which is way lower that I am used to. So from Winnemucca to Boise I had the AC off (during the middle of the afternoon 95 plus degrees out) and still the engine fan would cycle on and off, but my gas mileage was WAY better, I got about 290 miles out of that tank... GUYS HELP, what the heck is going on? Sorry for the long story I am just really confused.

By the way this is now my 10th Pathfinder. Hopefully lucky # 10 :itsallgood:

*Thinks about giving Green a budget and a shopping list....

Electric fan conversion and your losing power with it kicking on??? I know the AC on drains my 91 down to a slug and I usually dont have it on, the 95 it not quite as bad. Both still have the stock fan...

:stickwack: you drove RIGHT PAST MY HOUSE and didn't even stop by to say hi... sheesh.... *snorts*

Its funny you say that because when I was driving I was trying to remember all of the members who live in CA, NV, OR, and Idaho that I might pass. The only one I could remember was you and Harbinger

Does it still have the stock alty? If it does, your only getting 75 amp to power everything, including the fan. Depending on how many amps the fan pulls, the alty may not be putting out much amparage to power everything else. Try upgrading the alternator, hopefully this will fix your problem.

I must have been really tired from my trip because when I was saying the "electronic fan" what I really was meaning to say was engine fan. Everyone who has had a PF knows that when you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the AC on that your engine fan will kick on and that it is really loud. That is what I am experiencing with mine all the time. What I have noticed is that it will kick on mostly when I have the AC running, and if I turn it off it usually turns off a couple of minutes later. The only time that it has stayed on constantly is when I was driving at 60mph and up on the way home from L.A.

I was going to have the Nissan dealer look at it today, but they wanted to charge a $60.00 diagnostic fee??? Whatever, so I now have a scheduled appointment with a import repair shop that specializes in Nissan & Toyota but not till next week. So now that I have explained my situation a little better, what do you guys think it is, and is it something that is going to cost me an arm & leg?

Thanks everyone,

Ok that changes alot knowing it is probably the stock fan clutch. Those fan clutches are heavy adn when they kick on they take quite a bit of power to turn them hence your power loss. These engines are small anyway you have the 3.0 so you not starting with too much power anyway then you take a 95 degree day and run AC.. need I say more. If it does not sound like an airplane engine all the time and you can tell when it is turning on and off then it sounds like it is still working so I am not sure what the problem could be

Yep...as Zonianbrat said....that could be the case, also check the coolant level, as if you're low, your fan will be on more often, and earlier.

and oyu could've stopped at MY HOUSE and had a new one installed.. *sighs* :crossedwires:

Next time I promise, next time. Hey Slick, between you and I... I think that we have owned every year Pathfinder from 1987-1995, maybe we should start our own club. Pathfinders Anonymous!

Hello, my name is Ryan, and I've been a Pathfinder abuser since 2001..... :tired:

Welcome Ryan, tell us a little about your addiction. As for me I have been a Pathfinder abuser since 1994. Since that time I have abused in order: a Maroon 94 XE 4x4, a blue 93 XE 4x4, another blue 94 XE 4x4, a Maroon 95 XE 4x4, a Red 95 XE 4x4, a White 94 SE 4x4, a Maroon 94 SE 4x4, a White 95 XE 4x4, a Blue 05 SE 4x4 Offroad, a Dark Green (hence GreenEnvy94Pathy) 94 SE 4x4, a Black 05 SE 4x4, a Red 95 SE 4x4, a Black 95 SE 4x4, a Maroon/Gray 89 SE 2 door 4x4, and what I have now a 2005 SE 4x4 (wifes) and my 1994 Dark Green SE 4x4. If I count correctly ( I am a banker ) that adds up to 17 Pathfinders since I got my license in 1994. I am throwing out a challenge: If anyone can beat that number, I will give them free of charge one of my extra Sunroof shade covers.

Anyone game?

Edited by GreenEnvy94Pathy