Pics of Superskid

One thing to note...saying that the skidplate protects the "IFS" in general is incorrect. IFS stands for Independent Front Suspension, which includes the control arms, struts, coil springs and steering rack. You can cover the bottom sides with so much steel, but it's really not feasible to try and say it will cover everything. Just a thought. :)

Thanks, ya that lake getting in was pretty bad, didn't think I was going to make it a couple times. After trekking in there I have a different outlook on the Pathfinders. I still can't beleive I made it through with stock tires. That was a blast going up there.

I have a video of that trip but it's not digital so I'm debating getting a digital camcorder so I could post it.

I'll be going back up there into a different place after I get that Superskid finished.

I know what IFS stands for, but the whole term stands for that the front Diff does not move with the suspension, therefore this skid covers the front diff. As for a solid Diff meaning the Diff moves with the suspension. This is the main difference between them there are more but you get what I am saying. The IFS term is just that, it is a whole unit not just suspension components.

So when you look into it a little closer it means more than what your saying.

But I see what your saying in the control arms but that is only part of the "IFS".

But you can't put a plate over the control arms as the A arms there then they would have no flex. So for the rest of the IFS is protected with the plate. Along with all the other engine components which I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for the replies as there appreciated :clap:

I think this should clear some things up as to the whole term IFS, without getting into a long story. :takebow:

Better grab a patent quick. ;) Something along these lines would be appreciated (for a reasonable price) by those of us with older trucks. That thin thing from the factory could go bye bye with any decent rock hit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rohan k

Gidday fellas.

We have been making something similar (a "short" and a "long" version), here in Oz. Its made from 3mm checker-plate steel. We don't bother powder-coating the plates as the coating wouldn't last too long here anyway.

BP00007.JPG

Surprisingly, given that most things cost more here than in the US, the total cost is around US$110. :aok:

Surprisingly, given that most things cost more here than in the US, the total cost is around US$110. :aok:

Not supprised

Australia is very expensive, expecially in Sydney,

Sydney was just anounced as the 20th most expensive city in the world comming up 43 possitions since last year.. :eek:

Guest rohan k
Not supprised

Australia is very expensive, expecially in Sydney,

Sydney was just anounced as the 20th most expensive city in the world comming up 43 possitions since last year.. :eek:

:secret:

Yeah, now tell me something I don't know.

They claim the cost of living here has only risen an average of 2.9% per annum over the last 3 years, but they removed all the things they knew would increase during that time (like the cost of housing) from the index. My experience tells me it's closer to 5% to 6% per annum (while salaries have climbed by less than 2.5% per annum.

What really peeves me is that we often pay more here for products manufactured here. For example, an ARB diff locker costs us about US$1,250 fitted. :furious:

We pay more the butter we make here, than England and NZ pay it for when they import it :blink: So when I buy butter, part of what I pay subsidizes what they don't pay :confused: