Electrical Problem - No Start

Lugntrug

On my way to the frame shop to get an estimate (after stopping for some beers at the stampede) I left my lights on and killed the battery. I get my room mate to bring me to my truck in the AM to boost it and after I hook up the connections and go to start it, he decides that I have the connectors backwards and SWITCHES THEM! (smoke, sparkle, crack, bang). So I go get a new battery hoping for the best and it won't start -

WHERE DO I START? In its current stage it's not worth bringing it to the shop to get it fixed - I have replaced the harness that runs off the +ve post that melted and I'm about to put in some new relays (all fuses are intact). I'm guessing that the alternator is gone as well, but what else should need to be replaced? NOTHING happens when I turn the ignition (no power, no clicking, etc).

PLEASE HELP!

UPDATE - There is power to the wipers/lights and dash, but when I go to start it there is a relay clicking near the fuse box and nothings happens - second relay from the left that's attached to the fuse box (on top) and it's a blue relay.

Any help would be appreciated....

well, relay could be shot, why don't you hook your tk to another battery and see if you get more juice. are you getting power past the relay? if not then that's your issue; if yes, the you have to continue down the wire but i'd also check to see if the ECU is getting the juice and if it's working.

That's where I was thinking the issue was, but where is the ECU in these? Is it the black box behind the fuse box? It could be that that's clicking.

ECU is under the passenger side seat... Here is a good write up on how to access/get codes from/use your ECU (Click Here).

I would think pathfinders would have some kind of reverse polarity protection built into the ECU... but maybe not.

Hope that helps

-Mike

Well there's no bulbs lit up in the dash - no CEL or anything, just a backlight behind a blank LCD. This is driving me insane trying to figure out what to do...

As with that guy down in the 90-95 forum, you probably fried every controller in the car when dude hooked up your battery backwards.

Diodes that can stop 600A of negative polarity (which is what you get when you plug in a fully charged battery backwards) are very large and very expensive. You will not find them in any car, at least not from the factory. The most you will find is a sacrificial diode, which pops when more power than it can handle goes through it. Unfortunately, you then have to service the ECU, so your truck won't start anyway.

He is driving me everywhere, but I don't want to be an asshole about it - people make mistakes. And every controller? What do you mean by that? Just the ECU? I can go get one from a wrecker this morning and swap them out if that will make it start...

That's a good place to start,

But chances are you could have blown a whole pile of sensors and controllers by having reversed the cables. I've heard of such stories, and they never seem to end well.

You probably blew up the ECU, a bunch of sensors, the LCD clock, the stereo, and the ABS computer. Anything with a computer chip in the car.

If you want to try to get it running again, with bare minimum functionality, get an ECU and distributor from that wrecker. Also, get a transmission control computer if you have an automatic, chances are that you zapped that too.

Then send your idiot friend the bill for replacing all the computers in the car.

Edited by GhostPath

I think I may have a solution to my problems - I found a cheap 91 pathfinder 4x4 auto that needs a transmission, and my tranny in the 93 4x4 auto works fine. Are the transmissions the same or did they change them at all? thanks again

I LOVE YOU MOOKIE!!!!! :tonguefinger:

I replaced the other half of that harness and didn't even check the fusible links - they were swollen to hell and now that's they're swapped ------> the TRUCK RUNS LIKE NEW! everything works, no codes, no problems.

You're a lifesaver. If you're ever in Calgary, PM me and i'll be owing you a few beers (and I'll direct you to the nearest trails...)

I LOVE YOU MOOKIE!!!!! :tonguefinger:

I replaced the other half of that harness and didn't even check the fusible links - they were swollen to hell and now that's they're swapped ------> the TRUCK RUNS LIKE NEW! everything works, no codes, no problems.

You're a lifesaver. If you're ever in Calgary, PM me and i'll be owing you a few beers (and I'll direct you to the nearest trails...)

Good job on getting it fixed, (and on Mookie for the idea) sometimes the most obvious is the most overlooked.

Oh, and I believe Mookie is in the Calgary area, and I'm SURE he knows where the trails are! :aok: