Bigger Throttle Body

So, I have been thinking(Look out, could be dangerous), I was wondering if a loarger bore throttle body could be adapted to an 89 vg30? I did a bunch of searching and I am thinking the answer is no without spending a small fortune but wanted to see what would come back anyway.

Any thoughts?

I dunno. If someone could build an adapter plate, I bet you could use a Chevy TBI on there, as long as the injector types, mass airflow sensor and throttle position sensor match. The stock TBI setup has a single fire/double fire setup where they fire singly when under light throttle and both wide open at WOT, no idea how Chevy TBI's are set up, if they would be compatible. Other than that, what would you use?

Gotta friend with a machine shop and a CNC that could make an adapter plate. I noticed today that there is a supercharger out of a Xterra on ebay, perhaps that and the TBI from the Xterra would work. I dont know but am willing to try and see what will work.

And switching the MPFI would deffinatley involve switching the computer and any other neccesary realted items? I am sure there are other threads on the subject that I have read in the past...

Riddle me this: Does anyone know where to get the software required to remap our computers?

And switching the MPFI would deffinatley involve switching the computer and any other neccesary realted items? I am sure there are other threads on the subject that I have read in the past...

Yes. Easy way is to pick up a body damaged 90-95 with a blown automatic for $300 and start swapping parts!

I really was just wanting to know so I could modify the existing ECU. I used to work for a company outside of Detroit that specialized in Automotive networks and proticall, but this is old technology and most likely would have to know what software, type of code etc... I am almost positive it was in early Basic, but if there are programs out there for calabrating our ECU's that would be very helpfull.

For that matter, with software and minumal hardware investment I am sure ai could get those guys to show how to and perhaps we could have our own little remaping gig for NPORA members. this way we can customize to our requirements and not somebodys idea of a what we need.

Whatcha think???

Edited by thndrwhls

Well...like I said, to make any changes you'd need to remove the ECU, open it up, desolder the ROM chip and then build a new map, burn it onto a new chip, then either solder that to the ECU or get a chip seat that lets you remove the chip...

• 2 weeks later...
1. The only US Nissans that got a TBI(VG30i, specifically) were 87-89's. The 4-cylinder KA24 uses the exact same TBI unit.

Was this the truck KA24 or was it used in the 240sx as well?

Because if it was used in the 240sx KA24 I bet a tuner shop somewhere makes larger throttle bodies...

Was this the truck KA24 or was it used in the 240sx as well?

Because if it was used in the 240sx KA24 I bet a tuner shop somewhere makes larger throttle bodies...

All the US S12 and S13 240SXs were MPFI, not TBI. So it's probably truck only.

TBI sucks rocks anyway, so no point in trying to enhance it when a simple conversion to MPFI is available, IMHO.