Tired Of Spending Money

Well as it says in the title, my engine wont ide and i'm tired of throwing money at it. My problem is if i just start it, it dies. now if i start it and hold it at 2500 rpm till just a couple seconds after the fan clutch kicks out, it will do ok... for a while. then after you have been driving long enough to get the engine up to running temp, then say you pull up to stop at a light or you have to slow to turn a corner, it will die. once its warm if you let it drop below 750rpm. dead. put in P or N and restart.

I have replaced:

Fuel Filter

Fuel Pump

Ignition Distributor

Inanition Coil & Module

Throttle body Base Gaskets& Heater

Ignition Wires

O2 Sensor

Injectors

Spark plugs

Throttle Positioning Sensor

Any and all info you can provide would be great! :wtf:

PLEASE HELP! thank you

Have you checked your vacuum lines? There's a small one on the rear underside of the air filter housing that popped off on my '87 and drove me nuts for a while. It would run, but caused a really rough idle.

Cant really name any spesific tests, cause i dont really know. all lines from the air filter seem to be in their proper position, would like to do compression test. any idea how? my uncle is a mechanic and it seems like he was just throwing parts at it, and now he has just kinda pushed it aside. i need to make this work so i guess im flying solo, so any ideas/instructions are GREATLY appreciated.

Did any of the work you did make any difference at all? Sorry, but I'm no mechanic plus not being able to see the problem in person makes it near impossible for me to give you any real help. Maybe post your problem on some other boards like nissan4wheelers.com and 4x4parts.com. You might get some other things to check out before throwing in the towel. Good luck and be sure post back if you find the trouble.

I'd suggest that the time has come to start taking things apart and doing some heavy duty cleaning. Clogged EGR passages are very common, as is a rusted out or non-working carbon canister and AIV case, which may all affect idle. When it gets to the point that nothing looks wrong and you've spent that much on it, it's time to start removing things and inspecting each one to make sure they work, instead of assuming they do or they should. When I took off my TBI, I was horrified to find that the EGR passages inside the intake were completely clogged shut with black crusty carbon and deposits.

• 2 weeks later...
Well as it says in the title, my engine wont ide and i'm tired of throwing money at it. My problem is if i just start it, it dies. now if i start it and hold it at 2500 rpm till just a couple seconds after the fan clutch kicks out, it will do ok... for a while. then after you have been driving long enough to get the engine up to running temp, then say you pull up to stop at a light or you have to slow to turn a corner, it will die. once its warm if you let it drop below 750rpm. dead. put in P or N and restart.

I have replaced:

Fuel Filter

Fuel Pump

Ignition Distributor

Inanition Coil & Module

Ignition Wires

O2 Sensor

Injectors

Spark plugs

PLEASE HELP! thank you

i'm having the exact same problem, so make sure to post if you find anything

• 2 weeks later...
No ECU is throwing no codes. My uncle seems to think it is the ECU. anyway to test before i go spend another $300?

Don't the TBI trucks have some sort of idle control mechanisms? Perhaps that has clogged or is not functional?

There are plenty of people on here and on eBay with known good working ECUs that want far less than $50 for their ECUs, not $300.

Edited by GhostPath

• 5 weeks later...
I have replaced:

Fuel Filter

Fuel Pump

Ignition Distributor

Inanition Coil & Module

Ignition Wires

O2 Sensor

Injectors

Spark plugs

PLEASE HELP! thank you

The very first thing I would have looked at is not mentioned in your hit list.

It sounds like the car is starved of something it needs to run properly. Have you looked at your air filter yet?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Mine has no IAC motor

My bad pleaced the wrong comment to your problem it was the distributor cap. I got it at Autozone for $20 dollars. Sorry once again. Before you buy a new one take it of and get some sand paper and clean it from the inside. If it improves a bit get a new one.

Sounds like a typical case of an engine sucking air somewhere where it shouldn't. Check all vacuum lines and connections between the throttle house, manifold and head.

Otherwise:

Have you checked the voltage output from the lambda sensor?

Have you done an emission analyze? Everything OK with CO, HC and lambda value?

Have you removed and thouroughly cleaned the throttle house?

Are all the vacuum hoses connected to the right place?

I had an 88 that would do the same thing and I found that it was an air hose in the front part of the motor. It was right next to a belt, and the hose moved and the belt put a hole in it and as soon as I fixed it the car ran great.

Perhaps you should take the "check vacuum/air lines" one step further and just head down to the local parts store and buy enough new hose of each size and replace them all. It won't cost to much and even if it does not fix the problem you will at least be sure that it's not the hoses.

It will also give you a perfect opportunity to check all the hose fittings, couplings and T's for cracks :aok:

Still havent fixed it. I thank you all for all your comments and suggestions. Not sure yet if i'm going to try replacing all the hoses. I'm in the process right now of buying a different car. a mercedes benz 300se. I just cant fight this thing anymore. After I pay off the benz i'm just going to sell the pathy as-is. I paid 1600 for the truck and i have put about 1100 in it in parts, i cant do it anymore. Thanks again everybody.