My '98 Is Deteriorating...

I have about 150,000 miles on my '98. It is well maintained with regular oil changes, tranny service, timing belt, plugs, etc serviced, new shocks and struts, brakes, etc.

BUT, I'm starting to notice stuff I can't control going downhill.

The driver side upholstery has worn through on the left side, probably from getting in and out, and the fabric is torn and frayed. Its also fraying on the left side around chest-high. The trim face plate around the radio and heat/ a/c controls is cracking apart. The rubber weatherstrip on the front door is tearing, the rubber boots on the rear door ajar switches (for the interior light) is coming apart, and the rubber weatherstrip on the rear windows is pulling away from the door in the corners, ie, looks like it is shrinking. The low fuel light doesn't come on anymore (because my wife drives around with it on so much it burned out- I think I'm the only one in the house who knows how to stop at a gas station). The rear wiper motor needs replaced. And, most annoying of all is that the security alarm doesn't work, actually it works too much, whenever I lock the Pathfinder, I walk 20 feet away and the alarm goes off without anybody touching it. If it is locked and you pull on the door handle (forgetting its locked) and the alarm goes off. One time I even locked the doors, and then unlocked just the driver door, walked away and the alarm went off.

Is anybody else having these problems? If so, any suggestions?

This vehicle has been really good to me, and I know that all these small items would probably cost less than $1000 to fix combined, but as they continue to pop up its making me think maybe its time to trade-up for a newer model.

Edited by sigtauenus

The low fuel light doesn't come on anymore (because my wife drives around with it on so much it burned out- I think I'm the only one in the house who knows how to stop at a gas station).

LMFAO! :D

Wow, lots of little things add up... I would suggest you take a trip to a junk yard, see what parts you can get there.

My rear wiper is fuggered too -- replaced it, and it's still finicky... I've decided it's not worth the battle.

All the stuff you've mentioned seem cosmetic and superficial aside from the alarm. I imagine that can be annoying. You didn't mention anything bad mechanically about the car. For what its worth, seems like you have a mechanically sound car with no problems. That to me would be worth keeping and fixing the minor nuances.

The sporadic alarm issue is caused by worn out buttons in the rear doors (esp. if you say the rubber boot is gone) The car doesn't know when the doors really locked, especially if you can just pull on it and it will go off...the bad plugs are fooling it into thinking you're breaking in. I had a bad one on my front passenger door and replaced it and now it works fine again, but mine too would go off whenever it wanted, also when it was very wondy (because the leaning car made the plug think the door was open) Also, when I hit lock on the keyfob, the horn wouldn't beep, nor would the lights flash. This again was caused by the bad plug. It's no different than having the door wide open and hitting lock on the keyfob...it will lock buit you won't get the horn/lights.

Replace those things, the issue will go away. I imagine a service dept. can order you some. :tongue:

Wow, that's awesome!!

Yeah, it is very mechanically sound, I have no mechanical issues with it at all and do all my own work. Cosmetically, though, it could use some help. Some of those things such as the upholstery and trim are just annoying, nothing more.

I'll stop by the dealer this week and get a price on those switches.

Hey, for almost 10 years and 150k, it sounds like you actually used the vehicle! In terms of a Nissan, you are doing pretty well. If you owned a GM truck, you would have given up a long time ago.

I just dumped my 1999 GMC Yukon with 155k and I couldn't send it away fast enough. Let's see...intake manifold-$600, fuel pump-$500 (not including a $200 tow), U-joint-$150.00, rear axle work-$1200, alternator-$225, radiator-$450, etc....

You see, a worn seat and some ragged weatherstripping would have made me ecstatic. GM? Never again.

The sporadic alarm issue is caused by worn out buttons in the rear doors (esp. if you say the rubber boot is gone) The car doesn't know when the doors really locked, especially if you can just pull on it and it will go off...the bad plugs are fooling it into thinking you're breaking in. I had a bad one on my front passenger door and replaced it and now it works fine again, but mine too would go off whenever it wanted, also when it was very wondy (because the leaning car made the plug think the door was open) Also, when I hit lock on the keyfob, the horn wouldn't beep, nor would the lights flash. This again was caused by the bad plug. It's no different than having the door wide open and hitting lock on the keyfob...it will lock buit you won't get the horn/lights.

Replace those things, the issue will go away. I imagine a service dept. can order you some. :tongue:

I have a 97 pathy and when I lock it with the fob the flashers flash and nothing more. my question it should the horn honk too? If so any ideas why mine dosent? I know the horn works just not when I lock the car with the keyless fob. thanks

I have a 97 pathy and when I lock it with the fob the flashers flash and nothing more. my question it should the horn honk too? If so any ideas why mine dosent? I know the horn works just not when I lock the car with the keyless fob. thanks

You can turn the honk on and off. Hold the lock and unlock button down until the flashers come on to change the setting.

I believe thats for the 99.5+ models that you can turn on the horn on and off. Mine's always just been the flashers. I know myself along with some 96-99 owners have tried this before in the past with out any luck.

Yep, 96-99's don't have a horn option.

Has anybody tried holding down unlock for 3 seconds while pointing the keyfob at the truck? I did this the other day and my front windows went down. Call me a slow learner, but I didn't know I had that option!

Has anybody tried holding down unlock for 3 seconds while pointing the keyfob at the truck? I did this the other day and my front windows went down. Call me a slow learner, but I didn't know I had that option!

haha... I've tried that one before - didnt work on my 99.5. There's on old thread similar to this one where someone did the same... There's also the thread where I learned my mirrors have defoggers (turn on the defrost for the back window) I had no idea until I tried it one night! I love that feature!

There's also the thread where I learned my mirrors have defoggers (turn on the defrost for the back window) I had no idea until I tried it one night! I love that feature!

Yep I remember that one...

Edited by navygz19

You should have the heated mirrors, too, Dean. I do.

Oh, yeah, I knew about the heated mirrors. But it would be cool to have the remote window-rolldown feature. The horn-honk thing would be handy occasionally, too. Come to think of it, a button to release the rear hatch glass would be nice, too [cough]QX4[/cough]! ;)

Edited by XPLORx4

All that stuff you listed is little stuff really, there are starting to be alot of those parts at the wreckers in good shape for a decent price. I thought my 98 was getting ratty too and two quick trips to the wreckers and $100 later, I felt like I had a new Pathy. I even made a family trip out of it :)

I must try this sometime

• 2 weeks later...

My '98 Pathfinder has 167,000 miles and I'm on the fence, too, about whether I should keep it or sell / trade it in. I am the original owner. I've done all of the requisite maintenance (timing belt / water pump / plugs / wires / etc. etc. etc.) to mine, except that it could also use a new set of shocks / struts and it will need a new set of tires soon. I've also put in a new fuel throttle body and a new AC compressor within the past year. I figure that one more major component failure would put me in the red, meaning that within 12 months I will have spent more than the truck is worth to keep it running.

I had the same problem you have with the driver side upholstry. I found an automotive / marine upholstry shop (a guy with a big sewing machine and lots of big tattoos...) that was able to sew the torn seam. On top of that I bought a set of semi-custom seat slips for the front driver and passenger side seats - they match the gray interior and look really sharp, too.

Other than that I have the same issues with deteriorating rubber and plastics. Junkyard / recycled replacements are fine per other posters' suggestions except that they're likely to be just as old as what you have. For example, I replaced the HVAC control panel with one I bought through ebay and now it is beginning to develop the same fan motor switch problem that the original one had.

Bottom line - you can keep it running but expect these annoyances to continue to pop up.

--r0x

P.S. If NE1 in S.E. Florida is interested in my truck please PM through the board.

I have about 150,000 miles on my '98. It is well maintained with regular oil changes, tranny service, timing belt, plugs, etc serviced, new shocks and struts, brakes, etc.

BUT, I'm starting to notice stuff I can't control going downhill.

The driver side upholstery has worn through on the left side, probably from getting in and out, and the fabric is torn and frayed. Its also fraying on the left side around chest-high. The trim face plate around the radio and heat/ a/c controls is cracking apart. The rubber weatherstrip on the front door is tearing, the rubber boots on the rear door ajar switches (for the interior light) is coming apart, and the rubber weatherstrip on the rear windows is pulling away from the door in the corners, ie, looks like it is shrinking. The low fuel light doesn't come on anymore (because my wife drives around with it on so much it burned out- I think I'm the only one in the house who knows how to stop at a gas station). The rear wiper motor needs replaced. And, most annoying of all is that the security alarm doesn't work, actually it works too much, whenever I lock the Pathfinder, I walk 20 feet away and the alarm goes off without anybody touching it. If it is locked and you pull on the door handle (forgetting its locked) and the alarm goes off. One time I even locked the doors, and then unlocked just the driver door, walked away and the alarm went off.

Is anybody else having these problems? If so, any suggestions?

This vehicle has been really good to me, and I know that all these small items would probably cost less than $1000 to fix combined, but as they continue to pop up its making me think maybe its time to trade-up for a newer model.

I bought a set of semi-custom seat slips for the front driver and passenger side seats - they match the gray interior and look really sharp, too.

Where from? I'd like a set of nice seat covers... concidering Wet Okle, but cant seem to part with the $$$$

...now it is beginning to develop the same fan motor switch problem that the original one had.

What would that be?

Where from? I'd like a set of nice seat covers... concidering Wet Okle, but cant seem to part with the $$$$[/i]

I bought them from a store called "The Driver's Seat". I don't recall the brand name but I do remember that they were a special order and that they were quite spendy...

http://www.thedriversseat.com

What would that be?

Contacts in the switch are becoming intermittent. At the moment it's only on the fastest speed ("III") - the fan and A/C cut out suddenly once in a while and I have to turn the switch back and forth to get the fan and the A/C to come back on. BTW, the blower motor is brand new...

P.S. The volume control on the radio just quit on me today... Fortunately it's stuck on a usable level.

• 9 months later...

Well, its coming up on a year, and I still have my '98, still haven't fixed any of those issues I have.

Add to it, the sterio and at least one speaker is dying. The sterio is losing lighting functions on the control buttons and the main display. Of all the issues it has though, I think the rear wiper is most annoying, although that could be because its been rainy/foggy here in Virginia Beach for over a week now.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and the fact is, there is no financially justifyable reason to get rid of it. I bought 1 new car so far in my life and sold it 3 years later. I sold it for $10,000 less than I bought it for and drove it 19,000 miles.

If I buy another used Pathfinder, I have no idea how the previous owner took care of it or that I will get the same life out of it I'm getting now. I figure book on this thing is maybe $4000-4500. Even if I went all out and spent 5 grand on this thing fixing it up, I'd still be ahead over buying a new one if I can get another 100-150,000 miles out of it.

So, I'll be looking for these in the local yards, and see what I can find.

Well, its coming up on a year, and I still have my '98, still haven't fixed any of those issues I have.

Add to it, the sterio and at least one speaker is dying. The sterio is losing lighting functions on the control buttons and the main display. Of all the issues it has though, I think the rear wiper is most annoying, although that could be because its been rainy/foggy here in Virginia Beach for over a week now.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and the fact is, there is no financially justifyable reason to get rid of it. I bought 1 new car so far in my life and sold it 3 years later. I sold it for $10,000 less than I bought it for and drove it 19,000 miles.

If I buy another used Pathfinder, I have no idea how the previous owner took care of it or that I will get the same life out of it I'm getting now. I figure book on this thing is maybe $4000-4500. Even if I went all out and spent 5 grand on this thing fixing it up, I'd still be ahead over buying a new one if I can get another 100-150,000 miles out of it.

So, I'll be looking for these in the local yards, and see what I can find.

You're at the beach? Whereabouts?

I live off London Bridge near Oceana Gate 2.

Also, I've been thinking about the fuel low light. That should actually be an LED, and those are supposed to last a pretty long time. The fuel guage works fine. Is it possible that the gauge and the light are working off 2 different senders and the sender for the light is bad? I'm thinking about tearing open the instrument cluster to see what I can find as far as bulb or LED.

Other than that I have the same issues with deteriorating rubber and plastics. Junkyard / recycled replacements are fine per other posters' suggestions except that they're likely to be just as old as what you have. For example, I replaced the HVAC control panel with one I bought through ebay and now it is beginning to develop the same fan motor switch problem that the original one had.

Bottom line - you can keep it running but expect these annoyances to continue to pop up.

There are now treatments and such that you can use to rejuvenate and prevent plastics and rubber from decaying. Armor All is not one of them.

Also, have you checked the dealer on this sort of thing? For dealer parts, Nissan is surprisingly reasonable about pricing - even without discounts. Often the new parts have "fixes" for problems.