Rear Diff Fluid Change

ShadowManR6

I've been gettin some weird bumpiness in my rear when i take fast turns, thinking the fact that the fluids in the rear diff have never been changed may be the first step in finding a solution, now how exactly, and what do you use to do this , couldn't really find anything in the forum on it, manuals/links are awesome :) '87 pathy xe, no rear diff mods, stock.

Thanks

The plugs (both the drain and fill plugs) are square half inch holes. Use a half inch drive ratchet or breaker bar to loosen and remove them. Make sure you take out the fill plug FIRST, as if you can't get it out, you can't re-fill the diff. Once it's removed, loosen/remove the drain plug....drain the fluid. Make sure you get about 3litres of fluid, as I believe the rear diff takes about 2.5. If you have LSD, make sure you get LSD approved fluid, or LSD additive. GL-5 gear lube is what you're looking for.

Once the fluid is drained, and the plug cleaned off of all shavings, reinstall the drain plug, and fill the diff until fluid starts pouring out the fill hole. Reinstall the fill plug, and you're done.

good question, they put LSD's in all sorts of 'finders,

one way to tell is there should be an orange LSD sticker

most rear disk axels are LSD

but i still dunno if i have one or not, will it hurt to put LSD in a non LSD diff?

Or you can always try to have some one accelerate while pressing the break, while you check to see if both rear tires spin at the same time, incase you don't have that orange sticker.

My 95 pathy had pretty orange stickers attached on the differentials saying it was LSD.

Easy way to check for LSD if you're not sure:

Jack up the entire rear axle. Turn 1 wheel. If the other goes in the same direction, you have an LSD rear. If it turns in the opposite direction, or doesn't turn, it's an open rear diff.