Fog Light Wiring....

SaKaNa

How much can I power off those cables? I've been running 220 watts of lights off the drivers side cable, and now I went to run 110 watts off the passenger side, giving a total of 330 watts, but when I flipped the switch, I killed the 15 amp fuse under the hood, I popped a 30 amp fuse in and its fine, but is it going to put too much load on the cables or anything?

Well, right now I'm pushing 220 on drivers (goes up to the roof), and 110 on the passenger (brush guard mounted). I guess I'm going to have to do something about that. I gave em a test run in my parking lot for a few minutes, and that fuse got incredibly hot, the cables got a bit warm, but nothing serious. I'll have to get some bigger gauge cables and wire a switch straight from the battery I guess. I did use them for a fairly extended period tonight when I got caught driving down the highway into a massive storm... I entered a wall of hail at 72mph (according to my gps) and dropped to about 27 once two cars a short distance in front of me slammed into each other and wiped out. The darkness that prevailed was incredible, so I flipped on the 330 watts of lighting and kept trudging through the rapidly flooding highway. Eventually everyone started putting their flashers on and pulling off to the side of the road, while I kept on boating right on through. I survived, so did my electrical system, I'm going to inspect my condensor/transmission cooler later on, I had to go straight through the crap all over the road from those two cars, and I could hear all kinds of stuff slamming into my brush guard, bumper, and getting crushed by my MTs.

All in all, it was an interesting drive home from Sears... and all I wanted was some stuff to try fixing my house's air conditioner.

If you're using the stock fog light wires, I think they're only 20AWG, and will eventually melt with that much power going through them. There's a reason why the fuse is 15amps, not 30! You're going to melt your wires, dude.

You should run your aux lights directly from the battery using a relay, using the OEM fog light wire only as a signal wire.

heres how i did mine, ive got two sets of 100W H1's and each of them is running off a seperate harness, the first one was supplied and the second one i had to make, SaKa thanks for the idea of using the factory roof rack for a light bar. i used mine but i used a different bar than you did

heres some pics

100_1236.jpg

this bar is one of the smaller bars the inbetween the bigger bars with the factory rack

100_1242.jpg

100_1245.jpg

100_1249.jpg

yeah i know its not the best job at hiding the wires but i dont care

100_1251.jpg

100_1253.jpg

Edited by csutke

Do those roof lights not bounce around or anything when wheelin? I had mine mounted there first, then that broke off so I mounted to a stock cross bar and it still bounced like crazy. Next go around they'll be going onto my roof basket.

csutke, I *JUST* read your PM today when I signed on here at work, I guess you already solved the problem..

And nissandoms, I've got my lights on the large roof rack bar, and I dont have any bouncing problems.

Do those roof lights not bounce around or anything when wheelin? I had mine mounted there first, then that broke off so I mounted to a stock cross bar and it still bounced like crazy. Next go around they'll be going onto my roof basket.

dont know yet just installed them yesterday but ill keep every body posted