The Air Car

RedPath88

The MiniC.A.T.

The fiberglass MiniC.A.T. runs on compressed air, and offers zero pollution and very low running costs

Many respected engineers have been trying for years to bring a compressed air car to market, believing strongly that compressed air can power a viable "zero pollution" car. Now the first commercial compressed air car is on the verge of production and beginning to attract a lot of attention, and with a recently signed partnership with Tata, India's largest automotive manufacturer, the prospects of very cost-effective mass production are now a distinct possibility.

it hink i saw something about that on 20/20 the other night....... cooooool. so, if oyu keep a spare air cannister it can be used like nitrous oxide? lmfao vroom vroom drivingskid.gif

Neat idea, but still has some challenges before becoming commercially viable.

300 mile range? That's either going to be a humongous tank (think oil tanker), or the tank will need to extremely pressurized (1000's of psi). Which means your average compressor ain't gonna do it. And that little on board compressor isn't going to be reliable enough for anything but occaisional fill ups. So there needs to be an infrastructure created to "refuel" them. And those compressors need energy to compress air, so there goes the zero emission claim.

And call me chicken shi+, but I'm not sure I would want a pressure tank made in India pressurized to umpteen thousand PSI inside my automobile... One little manufacturing flaw and that sucker will go off in the most dramatic way.

^^^ Yeah. I'd like to see the crash tests, too. Imagine a side impact in that thing after a fill-up. I'd bet that would be the fastest a MiniC.A.T had ever traveled, nevermind that it would be sideways and thirty feet above the road.