Back With A 97

beatle1

I used to visit here when I first bought my 95 XE. That one was just totaled about 3 weeks ago by someone who pulled an illegal left turn in front of us. His insurance gave us $400 more than we paid for it none the less. :clap:

So we started looking for a 4runner but ended up with a 97 Pathy 4wd in the same color as our old one. It is auto tranny (the old lady didnt want to learn manual), 4wd, red, ugly rims, very clean. We paid $6.9K for it and it has 82K miles on it. I think we got a deal.

So I have already started to search out any problems this year may have. On the old pathy, a 95, I put in an tranny cooler, tranny temp gauge, inline tranny magnetic filter, idler arm brace, and steering dampner among other things.

Do the newer trannys have the same problems with clogging up and such? How about the suspension, any weak links? This will be used 95% commuter, 5% on the trail, not really rough 4x4 but I dont wanna be stuck. Thanks guys.

Welcome back! Congrats on the new Pathy!

The 97s do have the same autotragic issues that plagued the older Pathies. The tranny mods that you performed on your 95 are MORE than enough to keep it going for a long, long time.

The suspension is a very different design from the 95 to the 97. First of all, the 97 is a unibody, instead of a body-on-frame. It also, as you may have noticed already, has a McPherson Strut front suspension, similar to those on standard passenger cars. It is, however, MUCH MUCH beefier than those on passenger cars.

If you've got a limited slip rear differential and some good off-road biased tires, then you'll do fine. Skids and sliders help, too!

Thanks for the welcoming. I just noticed an aux. radiator- is this for oil?

Limited slip, hmmm guess I need to start researching on this site, never had 4x4 before and not sure how to tell if it is limited slip.

Hey now! Thanks again.

Well, I have experienced the first gen. Pathy and now I get to play with the second gen. This one will be more geared up for the off road trips though. I took it out yesterday just to try out the 4x4 and it was great!! :bounce: Cant wait to put a small lift, 1 or 2 inch, nice black rims and some better tires. Of course after I take care of the tranny preventative care isues. You shall hear from me more but now off to read and read some more.... :jig:

Edited by beatle1