Manual Trans Fluid Question

rennwerkes

Folks, should I be concerned that I'm a tad bit short on my tranny fill in my 91 2whl manual trans?

I could have sworn I'd be safe with 2 qts but noticed that it should be about 2.4qts or maybe a little more. Put in the GL4 spec Redline MTL.

I'm guessing it should be okay.

Thanks!

Yup, he's right. Take a look in the Garage section for the topic "Manual Transmission TSB". Could be that the last time it was filled they used the old spec, that's why you got less out of it. The shop that replaced my trans hadn't heared of the TSB either until I showed it to them.

Yup, he's right. Take a look in the Garage section for the topic "Manual Transmission TSB". Could be that the last time it was filled they used the old spec, that's why you got less out of it. The shop that replaced my trans hadn't heared of the TSB either until I showed it to them.

Should I be concerned about driving it around with only two quarts in it?

Am I correct in assuming that filling with five quarts the fluid would start to spill out the fill hole?

Oh yeah, what are you folks using for trans fluid? I'm not too keen having to spend $30+ more on additional Redline.

THanks!

Edited by rennwerkes

i also used the redline fluid and i would be concerned with driving around with only 2.4 qrts when it should be 5 qrts =o

yes it will start to spill out the fill hole trying to put in 5 qrts.. when I changed my fluid i put it through the shifter knob.. its really not that hard. there is lots of stuff about this in the garage section

well maybe it's just me and how I am but I would prefer to keep the gear lube of all the same brand and weight instead of just adding some other brand in with the Redline MTL. I was always taught that its best to no mix lubes. (and not synthetic with standard lube)

I get my MTL from a local dealer for only 9 bucks a quart....and since its not that often that one has to change their manual tranny lube....the cost is fine with me :)

I used Amsoil in mine since I could get it locally.

Some say you could park on an incline and use the fill hole but I can't say it works since I filled it thru the shifter as well. I've also heared that you could use a pipe elbow with the same thread pattern as the trans case and mount it pointing up to gain the extra fluid capacity.

I think you can get amsoil cheaper but I used Redline MT-90 because it was recommended and the specs actually looked better than Amsoil for this particular product. I agree with above too, you can mix but I wouldn't.

Hmmm....okay, for now I'm going to just fill till the fluid starts to drain out. I'm guessing I'll get in at least 3qts if not more. Trans hasn't exhibited any problems with the current fill level and I'm guessing the MTL will protect even better than what was in there previously.

Thanks for all the input.

you will wipe out the input shaft bearing fast running low on fluid. I would get the correct amount in there ASAP.

I had to replace my transmission after listening to autozone who told me that gl-5 is what I was suppose to put in there. Gl4 is impossible to find around here. I ordered from summit at 7 bucks a quart.

Mark

Hmmm....okay, for now I'm going to just fill till the fluid starts to drain out. I'm guessing I'll get in at least 3qts if not more. Trans hasn't exhibited any problems with the current fill level and I'm guessing the MTL will protect even better than what was in there previously.

Thanks for all the input.

i use the redline MT-90 as well, and put 5 quarts in through the shifter hole too..... do it ASAP.... a trans will cost you more than a few bottles of lube..... i got 5 quarts from summit racing in 2 days for $38

you will wipe out the input shaft bearing fast running low on fluid. I would get the correct amount in there ASAP.

I had to replace my transmission after listening to autozone who told me that gl-5 is what I was suppose to put in there. Gl4 is impossible to find around here. I ordered from summit at 7 bucks a quart.

Mark

Forgive my ignorance but what's the sign of a bad input shaft bearing?

The trans has been running on 2+ quarts for over 30k miles at least!

Mark

this is really an non issue if you live in a flat state/area. it's really only an issue if you have some many extended climbs .

you can squeeze at least a L in there, through the fill hole, if you lift the driver's side of the truck as much as possible.

personally i wouldn't mix manual tranny fluids in these trannies. oil is rather cheap compared to a new box.

this is really an non issue if you live in a flat state/area. it's really only an issue if you have some many extended climbs .

you can squeeze at least a L in there, through the fill hole, if you lift the driver's side of the truck as much as possible.

personally i wouldn't mix manual tranny fluids in these trannies. oil is rather cheap compared to a new box.

Sounds good. I never go up inclines (very often) and Pathy is used mainly on flat roads.

Thanks!

For peace of mind, just get it done as soon as you can. I actually am about to drain and fill mine again. It only has 5k miles on the current MT-90 but this year it was almost impossible to shift in the 10 degree weather. Figure, what the hell. It doesn't hurt to make sure it is all flushed nice and clean.

For peace of mind, just get it done as soon as you can. I actually am about to drain and fill mine again. It only has 5k miles on the current MT-90 but this year it was almost impossible to shift in the 10 degree weather. Figure, what the hell. It doesn't hurt to make sure it is all flushed nice and clean.

Yeah, going to do it this weekend.

Sorry, can't relate with you about 10 degree weather here in Honolulu! :D