Shall She Stay Or Shall She Go Now?

mws

A colleague just offered $6K for little red (see signature)... Oh gawd, if only I had the time to build a replacement, it would result in a nice profit. BUT, I really want to get to work on Frankenvan. If I sell little red, it will be close to a year before I can build up another pathy. Or do another pathy now and postpone Frankenvan yet another 6 months. I'd really like a 2 door with MPFI engine, long arm rear suspension, and ARB lockers. This would easily finance that project.

I NEED MORE HOURS IN A DAY!

With your knowledge, Martin, jump on it. You can have one exactly the same for under 3....and use the extra $$$ for upgrades.....probably with enough left over to help finance Frankenvan.

Definitely, though, buy and mod another Pathy before diving back into Frankenvan. :) *biased*

Edited by Simon

Weeeeelll...if you sold it you wouldn't have to worry about shortening that body lift. And teh Van would be that much closer to done! :D

I dunno. Personally, I won't sell mine cause I love it to death and I've put WAY more time and money into it than it's worth. I'd rather have a solid base I know about to keep building on than trying to start all over. That's just me.

6K for an 88 is REAL high. I doubt you'll get more than one offer like that any time soon. ;)

Yeah, it would be wise, but I just can't do it! Last night I sat down and figured out what it would take to reproduce her. Straight body, almost new engine, sound tranny, and then brand new clutch, tires, wheels, $1000+ stereo, all steering components, bushings, bearings, shocks, windshield, lights, etc etc etc. Basically, anything that wears out has been replaced and pretty much everything works perfectly. She is effectively a brand new '88 - but with an ugl, err, stealthy paint job. Now you know why my colleague wants it...

Bottom line: It actually would be hard to reproduce for $6K even with me doing all the work, unless I could find one owned by someone like me.

I'm keeping her!

Yeah, it would be wise, but I just can't do it! Last night I sat down and figured out what it would take to reproduce her. Straight body, almost new engine, sound tranny, and then brand new clutch, tires, wheels, $1000+ stereo, all steering components, bushings, bearings, shocks, windshield, lights, etc etc etc . Basically, anything that wears out has been replaced and pretty much everything works perfectly. She is effectively a brand new '88 - but with an ugl, err, stealthy paint job. Now you know why my colleague wants it...

Bottom line: It actually would be hard to reproduce for $6K even with me doing all the work, unless I could find one owned by someone like me.

I'm keeping her!

I read your first post last night and considered it today... what you just said is exactly what I was going to recommend to consider.

6K sounds great, but once you figure out all you have done.. including all the little things, then 6K starts to loose it's appeal. Toss on top of that what Aaron said about knowing the truck and a solid base to continue building one.. and IMO that pushes it over the top.

I have been in the same place with my Yota, several offers over the years, but none enough to get me to part with it. Plus I love that truck :lol:

And for the record, the Pathy would be hard to get rid of too.

You also have to decide weather or not you love to build cars. (there is always something to fix, however i mean actually modify and build.) I enjoy fixing and building my pathfinder. I would never by something already build, that to me, defeats the purpose.

Decide wich you love more, the car or building the car. If it is the building and fixing.....sell it. If you just plain love your car, keep it!

Matthew

Edited by McClurgM

It's worked out perfectly. I still have my baby, and talked her into a very clean Rav-4. Not something I would be interested in, but perfect for her!

And as most folks here know, I love working on cars in my down time. My problem is too many in progress.