Alternative To Jwt Pop-charger Intake

BLouisGod

This is more a FYI than a detailed DIY but it works, I have it on my wd21 and will take pictures when I get a chance.

A 87-95 Maxima intake adapter (pictured below) will bolt up to the wd21 MAF perfectly. You'll just need to order the adapter and a 3" cone filter (I used an old K&N from my civic when it was boosted). They run about 20 bucks on ebay - search "95 maxima adapter". You will only need to supply some quality nuts and bolts for the install.

Simply remove the stock airbox and plumbing to create space for the cone filter.

Remove the box from the MAF and replace it with the adapter and bolts.

Attach the cone filter.

Place some sort of cushion ( I used weather stripping) on the bottom of the filter so it rests quietly in the engine bay.

Done.

BTW, its a little high pitched at idle but deep toned under load. I havent really noticed any improvements on the butt-dyno; mpg up around 1-1.5 by the fill tank and divide method...

adapter_300zx.jpg

another thing you might want to keep your eye on is those ebay max adapters are made pretty cheaply and a guy I know in seattle with a supercharged maxima snapped one of those in half. i think its a cool idea and a good find for people who didnt know about it but like i said just keep an eye on it :)

:D Theres actually a metal one on there now that I bought - not the plastic type. Water is an issue, but I dont mud the truck or anything like that so its fine for me, like you said, not for everyone

Depends on the situation. Flying through shallow mud like you were, you may be right. However, deeper mud, can really get in there quite well. SkinnyPedal drenched his last year on a run in Bobcaygeon, and was lucky that he didn't hydrolock. His ricer cone filter was COMPLETELY soaked. Of course, the mud/water was over his hood. :lol:

Yup. People have been doing that for a while now.

Revolutionary!!! I wouldn't recommend that way for R50's because I went that route before I got my JWT and had no where to put the vacuum hose that I unplugged from the stock airbox and just zip tied it to hold it tight. But the threw the CEL.

The JWT has a vacuum port where you can plug in the hose. This took care of the CEL.

Depends on the situation. Flying through shallow mud like you were, you may be right. However, deeper mud, can really get in there quite well. SkinnyPedal drenched his last year on a run in Bobcaygeon, and was lucky that he didn't hydrolock. His ricer cone filter was COMPLETELY soaked. Of course, the mud/water was over his hood. :lol:
BAh, it was freshly oiled, I was never worried!

:lmao: