noisy belts

empathy

I have just had the timimg belt, water pump and tensioner pulley changed. For a while the drive belts were quiet. now they are noisy again. I am at 246,141 kms. I am not sure if these are orginal belts. would new ones be quieter. With belt dressing it is quiet for about half hour.

Just replace the belts ;) You just had your t-belt and stuff changed, so you might as well change the belts too especially if you do not know when they were last changed. It will give you piece of mind. Although I am willing to bet your belts are probably just loose from taking off the idler pullies. I went ahead and changed my belts along with plugs,wires,water pump,timing belt,coolant bypass hose,thermostat upper and lower radiator hoses and ofcourse oil and antifreeze.

My belts also make a lot of noise. I'm going to change them (hopefully) this week along with the t-belt.

Is it a wise move to replace the water pump as well? I have no problems with the cooling system so is it necessary?

The belts not only stretch over time, the surface that runs on the pully kinda glazes and hardens from friction and can start to slip a little. If they look good, you prolly just need to tighten them a bit. If they're glazed or have any cracks in them, I'd swap them out.

Is it a wise move to replace the water pump as well? I have no problems with the cooling system so is it necessary?

I didn't. I just waited until it failed (which was about three weeks later). Change it while you're in there. It'll make your life much easier, believe me.

Definitely go ahead and change out the water pump. It does not cost that much and you will already have everything out of the way making it easy to do. Also while your in there you should probably replace your thermostat for the same reason it is a really cheap part that does eventually go out. I also changed the coolant bypass hose. Once again it is a cheap part that could just fail at any point in time. If you do so then you are going to want to check your cam seals and your crank seal. If any of them are leaking then you are going to want to replace them.

It does not cost that much

:blink: *Compares the $80-$110 walk in price, it to his $20 yota WP*

Well anyway, Oliver you need to make the call here... base it on the number of miles on the truck and how reliable it has been overall.

When i did the T-Belt the first time (on the original engine) I decided not to change the pump. I again made that same call on the replacement engine... in fact, I seldom change water pumps when I do timing. For the most part it has not caused me any issues.

Another thing to consider, is how willing and able you will be to do the same job all over again if it does go out after you change the T-belt.

I thought I could get away without changing it, but 10,000kms down the road after my t-belt, my WP started to leak. I'd change it out.

Whoops! Unintended thread-jack. :o

Ok, well it seems that I should probably do the WP. 140K miles and nothing has broken *fingers crossed*

(except that cracked gas tank :hide: )

Maybe once I get all of this done I'll be able to get that darn engagement ring :wacko:

Someday it'll be the running gear's chance.....someday...

I would definately change the water pump while you are in there. Its behind the t-belt anyway. I had a w.p. go out. Got a new one put it on without putting on a new belt cause I had to work the next morn. New one went out 3 months later. Put another new one (warranty) on with a new belt. Put the belt on a tooth off. Took it back apart to get the t-belt right. Getting pretty good at getting under the timing cover now. ha ha

I would ditto everyone else on what to do also. I had noisy belt for a while. I figured out that the bracket holding the tensioner to the alternator was kind of loose. I tightened the bracket and noisy belts was gone.

:clap: i got stuck in some deep snow. The transmission hot icon lite up along with the battery icon. I thought i was toasting my tranny. Thank God, was only the very bottom belt broke. I decided to get them all changed by wonderful mechanic son. No more noisy belts.