She's got ghosts!

k9sar

Hi all... Seems that my 95 SE has started some undesirable behavior. When I first start it up in the morning, it seems sluggish. If I hit the gas (even lightly), the engine bogs down like it's choked. It coughs and sputters and tries to die. I can nurse it to health with gentle pressure on the gas and a lot of prayer but this is getting annoying. After driving a few hundred yards, it seems to have cleared up and runs fine for the rest of the day. Thoughts?

hmmmm. sparkies? or possibly wires too. I would check sparkies first. It doesn't sound anything fuel related. Does it stink like gas in the morning?

Well, I'm sure it's not the MAF. If that were the case, it'd idle rough (or not at all) even when warm. I've had that lovely experience already and had to rewire the plug on top of the sensor. I thought about fouled plugs or bad wires but I would expect it to be a little more consistent and not clear up after a few minutes of running. Experiences the same problem after sitting at work in the parking lot while I'm off making money. I came out today and it hated running. By the time I got to the end of the parking lot, she was fine. Odd though... it's not like the engine is even warm yet when it starts to perform better. I think there's a diagnostic test you can setup on the computer to check things while you drive (I'll have to consult the manual in the morning). Maybe that'll tell me something. I had hoped that someone had experienced this problem before and could point me right at the problem. Oh well, I'll post what I find.

I no longer have the the gas smell in the morning since I tightened the clamps on that little 3" fuel line between the rails.

Now that I think about it, I haven't had her in the mud lately, maybe she's starved and pissed-off :D

I no longer have the the gas smell in the morning since I tightened the clamps on that little 3" fuel line between the rails.  

when did the bogging start? about the time you tightened the clamps? maybe you knocked something.... :blink: ...check in that area...

nah.. did the hose a couple weeks ago. There was no event between Friday pm (leaving work) and Saturday morning (when she started acting up) that could have knocked anything loose etc. Sun and Mon were problematic when I started her up after sitting for several hours but today.... no problem. sheesh!!!! It's so much easier to track down things that are consistent.

Well mine is doing something similar. Like it is struggling to start but after a few seconds its fine. Spark plugs are a year old along with the cap and rotor.

could be a leaking injector ... leaking just enough while there is still pressure in the line and the motor is off, causing an excesivly rich mixture until you go a ways to burn it off and then it is fine ...

interesting thought. I had previously had my good'ol check engine light come on a couple times during long runs from PA to IN. The code was that of an injector leak. I added some cleaner and ran some high quality gas for a couple tanks and it solved it. Perhaps it's acting up again and just not doing it in a way that the ECU recognizes (I get no code). The forecast is for thunderstorms for the next 5 days so I have little ambition to do any work on the truck until the weather is nicer. Today, it worked fine. I'll cross my fingers and drive for a sunny day.