Odd Oil Leak ?

John Boy

I have looked and looked and can't figure where this oil leak is coming from. If the truck is running no leak but if I turn it off and let it sit for the night there will be one small drop of fresh oil on the ground. It's not coming from the valve covers or the oil filter. Obliviously it's got to be something with the metal contracting when it cools down? Any clues?

might be at the sending unit or coming from the rear seal and dripping out of the trans housing.

if you are really concerned by a single drop of oil, crawl under and hold a stick vertically from the drop to see where it dripped from. You should then be able to track it to the source.

Edited by k9sar

It is probably coming from just above the oil pan. There is a little shelf that catches oil when you change your oil filter. It sits up there and when you drive it blows all over the place. Most of the time it looks like it is coming from the ream main seal as it is running down the back of the oil pan in between the engine and transmission. I thought I had a bad rear main seal and had checked it when I pulled my transmission then i found that little spot and put 2 and 2 together. I have relocated my oil filter and I have not seen a drop since then.

Mark

I had a leak also and thought it was the rear main seal. When we took the engine out, it was the rubber gasket on the rear of the oil pan. My mechanic thinks it was pinched when the guy replaced the clutch. Oh, then another oil leak a few weeks later. This time it was from the oil sending unit. We stripped the brass nut on the aftermark oil gauge. Replaced it and all is good, not a drop now.

when i replace my transmission I thought it was coming from the real oil pan seal also. But after a little experimentation i discovered it was just residual oil coming from that spot above the oil pan. Still did not stop me for cleaning the rear of the oil pan and putting Rtv in between the pan and the block. Last thing I wanted to be was wrong about where the oil was coming from after putting the transmission back in . What a pain in the ass.

Mark