Started on the frame....

adamzan

Could use some advice, and turns out both my shocks broke off so I just took them off temporarily. This truck is not on the road yet FYI. Frame work is hard. I need all the help I can get. And I can't get rid of this truck.

200703111115000mm0.jpg

200703111116000ta7.jpg

200703111117000fb7.jpg

200703111228000vt7.jpg

200703111231000xv9.jpg

200703111234000yd4.jpg

200703111240000oj2.jpg

200703111240001nx4.jpg

200703111240002ft9.jpg

Oh and I cleared off the large amount of snow off, so it seems to sit more level now.

Edited by redfinder

:blink: and i thought my rust was bad jeez. It might be a better idea to just grab a grinder wheel and cut the whole side of the frame out on either side of your panhard rod mount. Unless ofcourse you plan on just sticking the new plate right overtop of the old stuff. Either way, it doesn't look like there's much existing metal to weld to. Edited by skrillaguerilla

The bottom of the frame is in pretty sad shape and some of the sides as well. From after the lower control arm mounts back its kinda bad too. Someone on here suggested a frame cap, Something like this i guess? [___]??

yeah that would probably do it. how does the top of the frame look? is there still enough metal up there? Seeing the back of the frame makes me wonder what the front looks like just behind the footwell. where in ontario are you?

I've seen some pics, but none really compare to the magnitude of mine. Its hard when theres just 2 people lol. I'm trying to get more buddies to help me out.

Grinding is the easy part, its the welding in the new thats gonna be hard. I don't know how but I ended up owning 3 angle grinders and never used any of them. I took out the cheapest one today. Is there an easy and cheap way to fix this? Plus there is all that mud and S**t in there that I have to clean out. There was a big pile on the floor today:(

Edited by redfinder

ryan (grim greg) did a write up on frame rust repair..... i think it's int he how to's or somewhere in the garage section. it's a good, educational read.

wow. that's really bad tho.... :sniff:

I had the frame on my 95 repaired recently by a welding shop. The frame was a lot worse than I thought because apparently there were many poor attempts at fixing it prior to me owning it. It looked good, with a few bad spots, but apparently, the spots that looked like they were repaired, were repaired poorly.

The shop, who has done work on many pathy's previously, rebuilt almost the whole outside of the passenger side frame from the front wheelwell all the way to the back, and a lot of the inner side as well. To do the inner side, where all the electrical, brake and fuel lines are run, they cut the outer side right off, then welded new metal on the inside of the frame, then welded new metal back on the outside. They also cut out rot on the bottom of the frame and welded in new metal. They did that for both the drivers and passenger side.

End outcome, if you look at the inner side of the frame rails, the frame may still look like it has rust holes, but there is all new metal welded in behind it. From the outer side, like your photos, it looks proper with all new metal welded in. All new metal is covered generously in tar undercoating.

Just to give you some reference, they spent 18 hours on my passenger side, and another 9 hours on my drivers side.

Sandor, how much did that set you back? Must have been pricey. People keep telling me that I'll never get a safety passed. Man, they sure do like to wreck your dreams these days don't they?

dude,, thats the worse one ive seen so far! I think you should start looking for a parts pathy at a scrap yard or something and steal the entire rear frame rails and just replace them. there isnt much there to work with! OR, if you know of someone or if you can built new rear frame rails and attach em. either way. good luck and be sure to post what happens.

Money for me is real tight right now, so I can't even afford to buy a parts pathy. Although coincidentally there is an 88 for sale up the road from mine. All I can pay for is the new shocks in the rear and the metal that I bought (3/16 plate) to cut and try to weld in.

Edit: One other thing is, you know those metal shrowds that cover part of the roter, those were kinda rotted on each side so I just ripped them off, can you get replacements and are they neccessary?

Edited by redfinder

Sandor, how much did that set you back? Must have been pricey. People keep telling me that I'll never get a safety passed. Man, they sure do like to wreck your dreams these days don't they?

What can I say...mine wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours...it just had a few small holes here and there, and it didn't pass a safety. The holes were the size of coins or smaller. Once I went to get the small holes fixed, it was going to be a case of putting more small patches over the existing small patches, or do it right and get the whole thing done. Small patches don't do anything...they just make it look good.

I don't want to discourage you, but that is going to be A LOT of work. If you don't get that thing repaired so the frame is straight and square, it won't pass a safety either because the handling will be adversely affected.

What you really need to do is what everyone else is suggesting. Find a parts pathy with a good frame (good luck up here in Ontario) or find one in a local wrecking yard that you can at least get the rear frame from. Chop off the whole back half of your frame, and weld in a whole new back half. That would be a whole lot better, easier and cheaper than trying to repair yours. Either way, it is going to be a lot of work.

Forget about all other repairs until you get the frame done, cause without that frame fixed, you won't pass a safety. By the way, those dust sheilds on the rear brakes aren't manditory. You don't have to replace them.

How long to you think it'd take to take the rear end frame of another pathy and weld it in on mine? Can I just keep the donor frames panhard rod crossmember mount thing and its upper link mount? Because What else after the lower control arms is attached to the frame?

Max STRYKER has or had, really not sure if he still has it or not... an old parts pathy or not. What he had left was pretty much the frame. He is in the NJ area.. maybe if he still has it, and for a few bucks, you can talk him into cutting what you need off of it and sending it to you. If he dont responde here, ill point him this way and see what he tells you if your interested. (if he still has it).

Yeah Im surprised too, I had a look at them and they're still coated in some kind of rust proofing as is the rest of the frame down to the front of the truck.

Wow< I thought mine was bad!

Hit a pothole on friday and it broke the frame above the passenger side rear axle.

I have about as much usable metal as yours :sniff:

I'm definitly not getting rid of the truck, its in too good of mechanical condition to part it out. I was thinking that if I can't get a piece of another frame, that I could maybe take off that one coil spring holder thing(whats it called?) and weld in a frame cap. The frame is solid from the lower controls arms down to the front of the truck. How does that sound? I've been thinking about it for a while now in between other stuff dealing with a death in the family.

The weather here in canada sure loves to cooperate with my plans :angry: The truck is parked out side and If i move it it'll get stuck. Hopefully it'll dry out so I can get started again. If I cut a piece of steel for the side and bottem and have the bottom bent to the form and weld those 2 together, would that do the trick?

Oh does anyone have the stock rear shocks? Mine broke off and I need temporary replacements. I couldn't get those clips out for the adjustable shocks so I just cut the wire at the shock. These are so shot that I can slide them up and down with my hands. What do i do with those hanging wires?

Edited by redfinder

I found this thread which was extremely helpful in giving me ideas but I have yet another question. My coil spring perch or whatever seems to look different compared to the ones in the other threads. How would I go about forming a piece of plate to go around my perch?

this is the thread I've been looking at.Link to thread!

thanks in advance.