would you buy a rebuilt vehicle?

Adam

i'm thinking of going and looking at this car, even though the carfax report says its a salvage/rebuilt... only 10k for a 2000 BMW 328ci seems at least worth checking out... i don't know how bad the damage was before, it was rebuilt before the current owner purchased it... has 80000 miles on it, looks like an alright car... heres the link.

hard to tell anything from the pics i know, but i just wanted others input on this...

it's a salvage title i imagine? keep in mind a salvage could mean higher insurance, and, of course, much lower resale value. if there had been any frame damage i'd stay away.

like mz said, try to find out what happened to it (not that you can necessarily believe what the owner tells you).

Nope, there's no clue what happened to it, you'll never be able to sell it, and it's just a 2000 BMW 328ci, not a 5 series or higher....Like the others said, insurance would sky rocket because you would be paying for the name and the salvage title, and it could blow up 30 days later.... hell that thing could have been in the New Orleans floods.... :shrug: or had 4 people slaughtered in the back seat.... :hide:

Edited by govols74n

yeah carfax just says its got a rebuilt title now... no real info yet, and i called them on it, but i have to call back at 6 to speak to someone... the carfax said the previous owner totalled it, the current owner bought it after it had been rebuilt...

edit: though if insurance is gonna be higher, i probably won't bother, i'm trying to find a manual 328ci for around 15k, or i'll get an 04 rx8...

Edited by Adam

Yes, after a very close inspection, including a detailed inspection and complete 4 wheel alignment at my favorite shop. I'd slip him an extra $20 to look REALLY closely to see if there is any sign of frame damage or misalignment.

MWS I like the way you think. I am a firm believer in "Money Talks". I always slip some cash to get the nitty gritty. For example, I give my trash man atleast 20 bucks cash every year around X-mas. That way I never get charged for extra bags, boxes, or whatever else I decide to throw away. This past year I set a small cooler out with some soda's for them too. Sorry I do not want to thread jack just wanted to ramble a bit.

Some salvage cars can be an EXCELLENT investment - a good friend of mine specializes in nothing but salvaged cars and he makes great money just off buying low and then selling high.

For example, in 2002 I purchased a 99 Honda Civic Si (salvaged due to theft) for $11,500.

I drove the snot out of that car, and resold it in 2005 for $14,000.

I was literally paid to drive my car, while others do the exact opposite. That's resale value for you.

I like salvage title, as long as it's due to theft. I don't like collision cars.

Be careful with the transaction. Make sure the car exists. If you hear stories like "I was transferred to Germany so need you to wire money the money to my uncle so I can get the lien off the title" start looking elsewhere.

you're going to end up wishing you had more power....

my buddy has an 03 330 and he cant even make his stock tires squeal around a turn with traction control turned off!!

If you don't care about power but want the luxury, 330 is a good choice.

Edited by FUELER

my buddy has an 03 330 and he cant even make his stock tires squeal around a turn with traction control turned off!!

Wuhhh?

Heck, I can smoke the tires in our little old 318.... Doesn't he know how to work a clutch?

he cant even make his stock tires squeal around a turn with traction control turned off!!

I'm with mws on this... I could shift to neutral before the corner and make the tires squeal in the turn! But really, why would you want that? Isn't a good handling car with traction control a GOOD thing? :shrug:

B

Some salvage cars can be an EXCELLENT investment - a good friend of mine specializes in nothing but salvaged cars and he makes great money just off buying low and then selling high.

For example, in 2002 I purchased a 99 Honda Civic Si (salvaged due to theft) for $11,500.

I drove the snot out of that car, and resold it in 2005 for $14,000.

I was literally paid to drive my car, while others do the exact opposite. That's resale value for you.

I like salvage title, as long as it's due to theft. I don't like collision cars.

YOu sold a 6 yr old civic si for 14,000? You still got that guy or girls phone # I got some stuff I'd like to sell to them!! Granted the civic si is one slick and quick ride but a 6 yr old civic is not worth 14,000 modded or not.

And as far as salvaged cars, never ever buy a flooded car

0-60 in 6.1s and i'm gonna wish i had more power? sorry bud, i don't buy auto's, and i'm very familiar with their 3.0 I6, old roommate of mine had a 98 M Roadster i drove on occasion, very potent motor... the 330ci may weigh more, but its still plenty fast, from my research it does the 1/4 at 14.9@95, though i've also seen 14.5@95, but i'll trust the slower number for now. i drove this one yesterday, its definately not lacking.

i got it today, and you're nuts :hide: the thing does great, its very quick, and it'll definately get the tires squeely in a turn if i want it to...

Congrats Adam, I have no doubts that it is a fine, capable car. You realize that you are now obligated to post a few pictures, right? Even one of that feeble, ill designed powerplant... ;)

B

Congrats Adam, I have no doubts that it is a fine, capable car. You realize that you are now obligated to post a few pictures, right? Even one of that feeble, ill designed powerplant... ;)

B

i did, in the pictures and video forum ;) i'll post pics under the hood tomorrow