Aluminum Flywheel

3zduzit

Has anyone replaced their stock flywheel with an aluminum one? I just ordered a Fidanza for my 93 4x4 SE Path, part no. 143281 and it is not correct. Flantlander racing is currently closed. Does NE1 know the correct part number. Additionally can you recommend an aluminum flywheel. I need one real quick. Thanks in advance.

This post will not help you at all. I have been wondering the same thing for myself. I used a aluminum flywheel in my 300zx and made a world of difference. I have heard though, on the trails you car really overwork a clutch with that flywheel. I have no idea if thats true, but someone with more info will ring in. I might be able to check the fidanza part number on monday through my work.

Ironic, I did the same thing to my 90 tt. World of difference indeed! I don't go offroad much with my Path though. I just want to get as many squirrels as possible out of the engine.

Cheapest way, engine swap

My understanding is that you would prefer a heavier FW over a lighter one for a 4WD truck. Adds torque, or (more likely) helps the engine make better use of it.. don't recall exactly.

But since you said that you do not off road it, then the same probably does not hold true for you.

On road squirrels huh? If your trying to build something fast... personally I would recommend you buy something else, like maybe another Z ;)

I know on dirtbikes (although the flywheel is used for generating spark and acting like a harmonic balancer as well) using a heavier flywheel increases bottom end because a heavier wheel rotating at low speeds is less likely to slow down as opposed to a lighter wheel at the same speed, it doesn't have the same rotating mass as the heavier wheel does. Thus creating more torque. I would say the same applies to a flywheel on a pathy. I think a lighter flywheel on an on road vehicle would be beneficial because of weight reduction. Am I right?

With regards to the weight of a flywheel and torque, care should be taken in the use of terminology. The torque that an engine produces has nothing to do with the weight of the flywheel. In the most general terms and conditions, it is the amount of volume of air/fuel mixture moving thru the engine that gives you torque, how fast this volume moves gives you horsepower. It is torque, and torque only that is measured on a dyno, horsepower is derived from measuring the amount of torque over the working rpm range of the engine. A heavier flywheel slows the ability of the engine to excellerate, this is an inertia, unsprung weight issue. The extra weight provides additional momentum which conteracts the engine from slowing down ( giving the effect of so called more torque). Heavier flywheels also have a tendency to damage driveline components because of this same effect, when a spinning tire finally locks up, the energy has got to go somewhere, the weakest component brakes or you burn up a clutch etc.