Considering a lift

falconer

Hey guys. Been awhile since I was here but im back once again. My gears are no longer grinding badly.... thats good news :rolleyes: Powerlocks started acting up as i have read is quite common but i'll fix that once its warmer outside as it hasnt driven me nuts yet.

Anyway, the question is about lift kits. At the end of the school year i may be gettng a lift kit but i have a few questions-

1) will my truck look retarded with 3" susp. and 3" body lift w/ 31's? Anyone got a picture of what it would look like?

2) Whats the problem with the AC lift kit? i did a search but was unable to get anything beyond "i dont suggest it". Whats the deal?

3) If you were to only do one of the two lifts, which would it be and why?

Thanks guys and sorry if this is repetitive, i did search for about 20min but maybe im just an idiot?

IMO, 3+3 lift with 31's just looks silly.

AC's UCA's are way over priced.

Id just do a 3in BL, its easier on the front end components, cheaper, easier, more noticable, gives a true 3 inches and allows for a bit bigger tire.

I don't think your going to get 100% agreement on the BL vs SL issue ;)

Personally I prefer SL.. but then I have never been a big fan of BL's. I have one for the Pathy, but am still on the fence on whether or not it will ever get installed. I picked it up right after I bought my Pathy because at the time I did not know of any way of lifting a Nissan short of the Trailmaster lift... which is not cheap... but now I know better :D

I also have never installed one on my Yota pictured below... all suspension lift.

Body Lifts are cheaper than UCA+Spring SL's are. But you can keep JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee) or Ford springs. It is true that you can keep the price below that of a BL by finding used springs and not replacing the UCA's, but they are IMO recommended.

The choice really is yours, since you said that you already searched the site then you should have already come across tons of info on this and you are probably already developing the general feel of what most people thing of the two :aok:

Yes i am starting to get a feel for it. One quick thing, anyone got a rough estimate of installation prices on the two? I can change my own oil but as soon as its taking @!*% apart..... i become a spectator I do not have skills with a wrench! P...

Someone else you chime in on the cost of the UCA's and BL install costs.... iirc there are some here who have paid a shop to do it.

But the rear springs are REALLY simple and something that you can do :aok:

So, just for clarification in my little head....

if doing SL- i can use ford/jeep springs, but can I do them all around or just the rear? And UCA's are a must? What difference will they make?

and for the BL- Do i need UCA's for this as well?

Sorry for COMPLETE and total noob questions.... havnt been thinking about my pathy other than makin sure her oil is good to drag me through our snow

thanks again everyone

*EDIT* edited question about the UCA's

Edited by falconer

SL:

Front = crank the Torsion bars (UCA's not "necessary", but recommended... with the exception of AC's, aftermarket control arms correct Balljoint/camber angles when lifted)

Rear= Replacement coil springs or if you can find/make some spacers

BL:

Only the body lift is required. UCA's are not part of a BL

It causes quicker wear on the balljoints.. some people have run for years with no problems while some have worn them out in weeks... luck of the draw I guess :shrug:

Also getting it properly aligned has been a problem for some people (but not all) if the camber is off then it can cause faster (and uneven) wear on your front tires.

I don't have much experience with working on vehicles. Ive taken my quad apart and put it back together a few times, I guess that helps somewhat. The body lift is the most extensive mod or project I've done to the pathfinder and it went quite well. As long as you follow directions, do some research and take your time you can install your own BL.

when it comes to installing the UCAs/rear springs and/or a BL, DO IT YOURSELF. I have NO mechanical skills what so ever and if i can do it, ANYONE can it. As said above, when the time comes, do some reading and asking questions and lots of people will help you out. Basic tools are required, and even if you have to buy the tools, its much cheaper than paying someone to install the crap. Also, im sure you could find a local member here in your area to give you a hand if you supply the beer. :aok:

It causes quicker wear on the balljoints.. some people have run for years with no problems while some have worn them out in weeks... luck of the draw I guess :shrug:

Also getting it properly aligned has been a problem for some people (but not all) if the camber is off then it can cause faster (and uneven) wear on your front tires.

I've had my stock UCAs with T-bars carnked and UCAs shimmed, no issues.

I prefer BLs on our trucks for the fact any suspension change over about an inch in the front starts wearing steering parts and CVs.

since this has been brought up, is it unnecessary/stupid to go the route of 3inch body and 3inch suspension, if i plan on puttin on 33's that is, i plan on gettin whole new uca's/shocks/springs + the 3inch body kit

i guess what id be asking is should i just do one or the other, will i get more benefit with going one way or the other, or going both can't hurt and might be worth it

Edited by ShadowManR6

I am not entirely sure what you mean there :huh:

if you want to go 33's then yeah the 3+3 is probably best. (people will bring up that they have run 33's with only 3).

By both are you talking about a BL and SL? Or are you thinking that the 3+3 and the UCA/Coils + BL that have been mentioned are different?

i was under the assumption that SL = coils/uca/torsion/shocks and BL = the spacers

i figured if im gonna get a kit might as well get it all new so i don't worry about things one way or another

Edited by ShadowManR6

i highly recommend the BL over the SL, but everyone will have a different opinion for you. It will have to come down to what YOU want. If you want my reason for being in favour of the BL, its cuz its simple, once its on, its done, no worries. Once you get into the SL, you MIGHT have to worry about reindexing the tbars, replacing steering parts, CV's, BJ's, etc. But like I said, its only my opnion, and others will have their own.

SL can consist of as little as rear coils (you then crank up your TBars), but it can also have new UCA's new TBars, and in place of (or in addition to) the coils you could use rear coils spring spacers.

BL consists of body spacers (and hardware such as the bolts, bumper brackets, etc)

The alternate is a Trailmaster drop bracket suspension lift... which costs a lot more than the other two combined.

And truthfully the three of those lifts can be combined, resulting in an approximate 3+3+4 lift.

Oh and new shocks are not "needed" but are recommended.

Front shocks are the same length no matter what lift you choose. Rear shocks can be longer (gives more downward travel)... and those can be added even before any lift is installed.

*My truck has longer rear shocks and currently no lift ;)