CB radio

xkrewx

all the cool kids are doing it

no

wait

I have one...

well, if you wheel, or ever do road trips with a group theyre great to communicate from truck to truck...

otherwise, I have enjoyed having mine, I leave it on the trucker channel, Ive learned all sorts of new bad words and dirty jokes from them, also, theyve saved my butt time in traffic, when there's a back up, they often radio e/o to see what it is, and how to avoid it, and Ive asked myself a few times.

I bought a cheapy from Rack Shack Rack Shack

I works OK, but i need a better antenna. I use it a lot when i go out to the desert here in SOCal....most of the Rangers keep channel 22 available for rescue and of course channel 9 will almost always get you help.

Our group had to use my CB last March out in Ocotillo Wells, when one of my co-workers went over the handle bars of his dirt bike landing from a jump and broke his collar bone and had a compound fracture of his right femur....sticking through his riding pants....Nasty stuff.....No cell phone coverage, so i called for help on channel 22 and within 5 minutes two ranger trucks showed up with fully equipped paramedics....

I will never be without it again!

Real easy.....run a fused power wire (14awg) off the ACC or Battery circuit on the fuse block and find a good bare metal spot for the ground wire. The hard part is routing the antenna wire....Be sure NOT to ground it to anything that already has something grounded to it or you might get some interference....i apparently grounded mine originnaly to the same spot/metal where my wipers were grounded.....got a buzzing through the CB everytime the wipers turned on. I didn't notice it for 6 months after the install....Not much need for wipers here in SoCal.

If you're getting a CB, I HIGHLY recommend springing for a slightly higher-end model with a Weather Radio built in. The Weather Alert has saved my butt several times while camping.

Also, DO NOT skimp on the Antenna. Get a good, high-quality antenna.

A $10 Radio with a $100 antenna will sound better, and get much better reception than a $100 radio with a $10 antenna. Also, make sure that your antenna is properly grounded and be sure to have it properly tuned.

i just went down to radio shack and got the Uniden Pro 510 xl...impulse buy you know how it is

88pathoffroad I dont care if you are an admin stop being a jerk, you basically called me an idiot in the garage post, what the hell are these forums for if not for help with stuff.

Edited by xkrewx

All I ask is that people try to search a little before posting repeat questions and questions that are easily answered by searching the web a LITTLE BIT. Sorry if that makes me a jerk, that's how I am. I'm not mad or anything.

im not either, sorry i came off as upset, the only reason i posted in the garage is because i didnt find anything that helped me with what i specifically needed, and it just sucks to have a post closed in a string where people are supposed to ask for help.

Hey no need to get all pissy man. When you're apart of a forum for a while and for years new people are constantly asking the same old questions, and it becomes this neverending cycle, you get kind of impatient especially when spending a couple of minutes searching for the answer will work.

When I installed my CB, it took me 5 minutes to wire the radio, and I spent 4 months finding the right place for the antenna that would give me the minimum Standing Wave Ratio (SWR).

The SWR is a measure of how "in sync" the antenna is with the radio. You want the SWR to be as close to 1:1 as you can. I've been through 4 different antennas, and countless mounting positions and types. I've used magnet mounts, ball mounts, bumper mounts, body mounts, mirror mounts, hood channel mounts. I finally ponied up the $85 for a Wilson 5000 Roof Mount antenna (it mounts through your roof, and requires drilling a 7/8" hole in your roof). Without actually tuning the antenna, my SWR was 1.1:1 on channel 1 and 1.3:1 on channel 40. You want the SWR to be even across all channels. It is typical for the SWR to dip slightly in the middle channel range (15-25). I shortened the antenna about 1/4", ran grounding straps for my hood, doors and alternator. And re-grounded my stereo system directly to a ground plane instead of to the body.

After 9 hours of work with the latest antenna, I achieved a 1.1:1 or better SWR across all channels.

With a "cheap" Radio Shack radio with weather band (it actually runs about $70 because of the weather band, but is identical to the cheapo one inside), I was picking up Skip in November from Northern Maine to Sedona, Arizona. Regular transmissions, I typically get about 25-30 miles of range, depending on topography, a little farther if it's particularly flat.

With my previous antenna setup, a FireStik II using a ball mount, mounted on the side of my truck, my SWRs were off the charts, indicating an insufficient ground somewhere in the antenna circuit. I could only get about 100 yards of range with that setup using the same radio.

The antenna will make or break your system, so don't dwell too much on which radio to get, but definitely do your research on the antenna. And if you don't know what you're doing, or arent comfortable drilling your truck, have a professional install the antenna. Most truck stops and/or CB Shops will install and tune the antenna for you.

• Like 1