Rubbing or grinding when going over bumps?

MadManMike

Hey guys I have a few q's,

I was driving down the freeway yesterday.. and while going at around 40 to 60mph when I would hit little bumps in the road I could hear and feel a vibration (like something was rubbing against something). It would happened while my suspension was flexing after going over the bump, and last just a second. At first I thought It might be my tires rubbing.. ( I had a lot of weight in the car .. 4 250lb guys :) but they are just stock tires, not very big. So now I am thinking it is my drive shaft ?

Any thoughts? is this normal?

Question number 2:

When I bought the car I noticed that I was missing an A/C belt and the guy told me thats why the air conditioner is not working... I now find out (and failed to notice while I was there) that I am missing the compressor as well :( .. So now I am trying to find out if any thing else is missing.. If some one could show/tell me what/where the other parts are so I can check if they are missing as well. I do see the hose that goes to the compressor.

thanks much,

-Mike

I'd bet your tires were rubbing a little with that much weight in it at stock height. The driveshaft won't rub.

On the AC issue, how can anyone tell you what you would need if we aren't looking at it? I can tell you that it may cost you quite a bit to replace the compressor at the very least unless you find a junkyard part.

I'd bet your tires were rubbing a little with that much weight in it at stock height. The driveshaft won't rub.

On the AC issue, how can anyone tell you what you would need if we aren't looking at it? I can tell you that it may cost you quite a bit to replace the compressor at the very least unless you find a junkyard part.

umm dude...

I said can you tell me where the rest of the A/C components are so I can check and see if they are missing... Maybe I should rephrase it like this.. where is the Evaporator, Condenser (i'm guessing near the front :P ) and any other major a/c parts located?.. if it would be easier I could take a snapshot under my hood and you could tell me... but I doubt they are all visible. I think I have an old haynes manual that I will check as well... I don't think it is my year but it should give me an idea.

Yeah the compressors look like the cost around $300 .. Although I see a couple of new ones on ebay for $150... I don't really use a/c all that much here in the great NW, but it will up the resale value and is nice to have once and a while.

hmm tire rub.. I will have to go out with less people and hit some bumps and see if it still happens.

one more small question... What does the Sport/Comfort button actually do? I mean I know it is to change the ride quality... but what is it doing when I press it... or is it just there to make me happy like the "close door" button on the elevator :)

thanks

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Ummm dude.....

Get a manual!  :shrug:

Everybody is a comedian....

:rolleyes:

And if you would have read my post you would see that I said I have a manual and I will be checking it.

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

umm dude...

I said can you tell me where the rest of the A/C components are so I can check and see if they are missing... Maybe I should rephrase it like this.. where is the Evaporator, Condenser (i'm guessing near the front :P ) and any other major a/c parts located?.. if it would be easier I could take a snapshot under my hood and you could tell me... but I doubt they are all visible. I think I have an old haynes manual that I will check as well... I don't think it is my year but it should give me an idea.

Yeah the compressors look like the cost around $300 .. Although I see a couple of new ones on ebay for $150... I don't really use a/c all that much here in the great NW, but it will up the resale value and is nice to have once and a while.

hmm tire rub.. I will have to go out with less people and hit some bumps and see if it still happens.

one more small question... What does the Sport/Comfort button actually do? I mean I know it is to change the ride quality... but what is it doing when I press it... or is it just there to make me happy like the "close door" button on the elevator :)

thanks

-Mike

Sport....stiffens ride.....when turned on.....softer ride when off....(on is 4 off road, and reduces body roll a tiny bit if shocks are any good) B)

if you want to know what is happening when you press the button, basicaly it opens/closes a valve in the shocks via a small electrical solenoid on the top of the shock.

open makes for the "confort" by allowing quicker motion of the shocks, and closed makes for the "sports" by makeing the up and down motion Much slower.

Jon.

Edited by jonainmi

Are the AC compressor lines still there? If they are just pick on and start following it, if you find an open dead end before you get to the other compressor line, then something is missing. Post up where it ended if that happens ;)

Hmm looks like all I got is lines :huh: Looks like they must have taken out the whole A/C system.. I see the lines that come from the Firewall one goes to where the compressor should be and the other goes to the front of the radiator.. which I am guessing is where the Evaporator should be.. all I can say is CRAP.. oh well I guess I will be making a trip to the junkyard one of these weekends..

Where should the condenser be located?

not sure why they took the whole a/c unit out... maybe to repair something and just never put it back in.

thanks for your help..

-Mike

I'd rather roll down the windows and turn up the tunes. ;)

umm dude...

I said can you tell me where the rest of the A/C components are so I can check and see if they are missing... Maybe I should rephrase it like this.. where is the Evaporator, Condenser (i'm guessing near the front) and any other major a/c parts located?..

In the front under the hood. Attached to the engine and the radiator support. Anything else?

condenser is mounted between the radiator and the grill, the evap is mounted under the dash right behind the glove box between the fan assembly and the heater box, the receiver dryer is located on the passenger side of the condenser. If the system has been left open the receiver dryer should be replaced as it will be saturated, I've heard of people drying them out in an oven but your better off replacing it, also if the compressor grenaded you going to have metal particles all through the system so it should be flushed