Center console removal and fog lights

forrer13

I am having a hard time removing the center console on my 94 Pathfinder.

I want to remove it to hide some stereo wires that run to the back of the truck.

There are two screws/ bolts recessed deep into the bottom of the center arm rest.

The problem seems to be that they are too tight to remove with a long hande phillips head driver, and the recessed hole in the plastic is too small to get a socket down onto. Not to mention all the crap that has made its way down into these holes that I have to dig out first.

What method have you guys used in the past to remove the center console?

Second question pertains to my fog lights.

The light on the switch comes on when you turn the fog lights on, and the switch is working fine but there is no power getting to the lights themselves.

Is there a relay in the circuit that could be bad. If it were the fuse then the switch wouldnt be getting power right? What components are in the fog light wiring, between the switch and the lights?

There are two screws/ bolts recessed deep into the bottom of the center arm rest. The problem seems to be that they are too tight to remove with a long hande phillips head driver, and the recessed hole in the plastic is too small to get a socket down onto. What method have you guys used in the past to remove the center console?

Try a long #3 phillips. It has a bigger face and can grab the screw. Or try tapping on the end of the driver with a hammer, do this while turning. Just dont overdo it.

A impact driver would be the next thing to try.

Sweet, the fogs were a no brainer, if I had of opened that little in line fuse cover by the battery I would have seen the blown 15A fuse, duh. Anyway problem 1 fixed.

I finally got the console out. There was so much crap collected down in those holes inside the arm rest I had to take penetrating oil and a small thin pointy file to clean the screw heads out enough to get the #3 scredriver into the heads of the screws. Console out, wires hidden, problem #2 fixed.

Thanks Guys, this forum looks like its gonna be as helpfull to me as www.preludepower.com

My other car is an 89 Honda Prelude with 4 wheel steering. But she doesnt need as much help (anymore) as the Pathfinda.

I just had the same trouble with my center console. I wound up pulling one of the screws out of it's anchor. Actually, it may have been loose to being with as the whole thing has always felt loose to me. I think the whole piece is really a poor design. The back screws should be on the side, it should make better use of space, have cup holders, and have better protection from dirt and stuff.

Are all these center pieces the same? Mine has a box with a flip-top lid and 6 switch locations surrounding the base of the e-brake. There's a bunch of empty space between the bottom of the box and the floor of the truck. I'm wondering if there might be a better design out there that I would like better. I have an AT, and I guess the one for MT would have a different cut-out for the shifter.

Yeah, later models used the same console and added a large top piece to the covered part. It had a larger/deeper opening and 2 cupholders that flip down out of the top armrest part.

Yeah, in the center console, usually clipped to the lid of the console. Terrible spot for them. I have them, and don't use them.

Yep, mine has the flip down cup holders on the underside of the lid. It was a clever design that each one is a different size for cans or bottles. But if you keep CD's in the bottom of the console sooner or later your gonna spill coffee or something all over them. Not to mention you cant use the arm rest if your using the cup holders.

I bought an el-cheapo cup holder from Wallmart and hook it under the lid of the console. It sits neatly above the e-brake and still gives access to the switches on the console. Best thing is it easily removes by opening the console lid, but will stay in place when you open the lid to access the console storage.

• 1 month later...