Engine Ticking

Lunartic

1995 Pathfinder 350000 kms. and runs like a charm>>> until today! Driving to work in this lousey weather that we are having right now when I got to a stop sign half way to work,( driving 30 miles ). I heard a ticking sound coming from engine compartment. It seems to get a little louder at an idle, and when I speed up it sounds like it goes away because it sounds like its ticking increases as rpm increases but disappears. Please fellas and ideas would be much appreciated.

:help:

it's either an exhaust leak at the manifold which most people on the forum will say to install headers. or you have a valve ticking. i have the same tick on the drivers side. i will be installing headers when money allows and adjusting the valves within the next couple weeks.

Guest SuperSon
it's either an exhaust leak at the manifold which most people on the forum will say to install headers. or you have a valve ticking. i have the same tick on the drivers side. i will be installing headers when money allows and adjusting the valves within the next couple weeks.

Would you mind doing a how-to on that valve adjustment .pics optional :D

Guest SuperSon
lifters stuck... broken manifold studs... could be a few things

What would cause it to get stuck and what needs to be done when its stuck?

Thanks

Is it worse when cold and then slowly gets better? (likely broken exhaust stud)

- or -

Worse right at start up then at some point quickly gets better? (likely a lifter issue)

- or -

Never really changes?

Or very dependent on throttle position?

Hi and thanks for the reply

When I start it up it is there and seems to go away when I bring it up to about 2500rpm or maybe it is that I can't hear it now with a loud engine. After i drive it for about 40 minutes or so ita little louder, but still there and like I say, it seems to go away when i rev it up but comes back @ about 1300rpm then idles down to about 750/800rpm and idles fine but with this ticking sound. It's for sure in the rocker area drivers side as I tried the ole screwdriver to the ear trick.

If it is an exhaust leak, it will get louder at larger throttle openings at the same rpm.

Sounds like yours isn't doing that, so a sticky or bleeding down lifter is suspect.

Try changing the brand of oil. In my old 240SX, I had a lifter tap while using Castrol GTX. Switched to Mobil 1 and it went away... Can't for sure explain why.

Yeah, really. I cannot explain it... I had considered Castrol one of the best dino oils available. But my experience showed it tended to lose viscosity pretty quickly in that application. Within 500-1000 miles after changing the oil, the problematic lifter would start tapping away again. It would stay silent with Mobil 1 for at least 5K miles.

Doesn't the '95 recommend 10w30 or 10w40 oil? If so, repair may be as simple as to revert to a heavier oil.

No....the 95 recommends 5w30 for a HUGE temperature range, although, in warmer climates, 10w30 is also allowed. Might want to try 10w30 as mws suggested, as it could help your issue.

If it is cold where you are, might I suggest Mobil 1 or other synthetic 10w-30? It will flow better at cold temps so it will not cause any excess wear at start up.

With as many miles as you have, a bleeding down lifter would not be unusual. The other possibility is a plugging up/sticky lifter. Again, running some high quality synthetic should help as they generally have far superior additive packages and will clean out gummy deposits better.

Guest SuperSon

excuse all my questions guys coz id rather hear from pathy owners than going by the manufacturers site.

Will seafoam hurt anything if applied even if theres no sticky lifters? kinda like a preventative maintenance.

also is there a specific brand recommended or seafoam is seafoam?

Thanks all!!! WAVEY

Seafoam is seafoam.

It won't hurt anything, it basically just cleans out your engine. Carbon deposits and sludge buildup. It's a good thing. The only thing that could POSSIBLY be an issue, is if the sludge in your engine is slowing/preventing an oil leak, the seafoam will clean that out. Chances are, though, that won't be an issue.

Ok guys here it is. I had changed the oil and replaced it with 5w30 as well to top it up I used this stuff here in Ont. called CD2Maxx a detergent oil cleaner. Then I used some Lucas fuel treatment to a tank and gave her a good hard run and it went away after about 150k. :D >>> Dunno :confused: maybe carbon built up in and around the hydraulic lifters.

Thanks for the ideas fellas...... :clap: