Need help mounting AC center skid

tmorgan4

I already posted this over on AC but there seem to be a few guys over here that have one as well.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly how this mounts. I don't have any instructions, but it shouldn't be this difficult. I'm assuming the large narrow part mounts to the crossmember up front, but where does the rear mount to? Does the rear flange go up or down?

I originally thought the flange would go up but it looks like the square cutout towards the front is for the front diff drain plug. I drew it up in SW to give everyone a better idea what I'm looking at...

537030154_Center%20skid.jpg

EDIT: Alex was right that the drain plug was for the engine oil and not differential, so I have it laid out the right way. The rear flange doesn't seem to line up with any holes...does it require drilling in the crossmember?

Here's where the rear part lines up...

537030486_Picture%20001.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

The center skid mounts with the flange facing up and in the rear. The rear skid bolts up to the flange, should you add one later. You have the baffle (for lack of a better term) units on your cross member. Remove those(they have a rubber piece inside) and you will see the bolt holes in the frame for the skid. They are the "U" shaped metal items seen on the photo. The front of the skid should line up with holes in the frame rail that have welded nuts in place. They on the cross member. You might have to jiggle it around a bit to line up the holes but it is not to bad.

Ugh, more AC "custom" parts problems. I would've told you not to buy from them...

Some people can't afford higher quality parts that still want protection (like myself) It's better than nothing, even if it DID take a lot longer to ship than was suppossed to.

Well, not having much of an option, I bought the A/C skids and have had no problems at all. They have taken some monster hits and done exactly what they were supposed to do, protect my drive train. Yeah, it took longer than advertised but, they still do a hell of a job. Wish we had more options on after market goodies.

Did you get the plate installed yet?

Thanks for chiming in RWC5S2. Never would have figured that out on my own. :P

I haven't gotten it mounted since it won't fit with the lift, but now I know what kind of modification it's going to take.

Dan...how are the AC skids so weak compared to the BPs? I can't imagine destroying this 3/16" sheet of metal and denting the oil pan. How in the hell did you do it?

What kind of lift did you do? I did the AC lift on my 2003 and the skids went in fine. Well, with some help to lift the dang thing. Geez, that center plate is a heavy bugger. Hmm, did you go with the humongous Prado lift?