I need some serous help

jonainmi

Ok, today, i went weeling somewhere i dont know (first mastake) and drove through a mud puddle that i thought was small (second mastake). About 5 hours later a nice rig pulled me out with a 8000LB wiench.

Well the hole was DEEP on one side, and not soo deep on the other side So i was setting at a steep angle for about 5 hours :(. now the pathfinder wont run worth a @!*%. It smokes, stutters, and idles low. Smells really bad of gas.

I had to leave it where it is because i cant make it more than 5 feet. and i need to go farther than 5 feet to get home....

If you guys have anyidea what it could be, if you have ever had any experance with this issue, or any ideas to dignose in the field, it would be great

A very sad, but still alive

Jon

it was leaning to the right... (passenger side :P)

I will try it tomarrow after work :( and see if anything has improved, i also have some cool pics from it, will post ASAP

A still sad

Jon

I'm fairly certain the WD21 air cleaner is on the driver side, at least I know mine is. IF you did suck some water in, you might want to consider removing the spark plugs and vaccuming/blowing out the water that may or may not be in your cylinders...if your rings are good most of it will still be there, then change your oil. Other than that, take the cover of the distributor, and let it air out, maybe even disconnect the plug wires and see if theres any water chillin out in the boots. let it sit for a while and dry out and it'll probly crank right up.

Assuming you didn't fry your computer if its under the passenger seat and didn't get wet, go with above. Pull computer codes, clean up any water, etc. etc. If it fires up and runs, but rough, I'd suggest running it for a long while. I got some water in some nasty spots a couple times a while back and ended up driving around for probably 100 miles before everything was back to normal. Those were probably 3 and 4 years ago!

Sounds like you got water in the ecu. Remove it, set is somewhere dry and static free, remove the cover and let sit for a while. I have seen people soak them, let them dry and they worked, luckily. Otherwise, dry up the water in the vehicle and dry any connectors that may have got water in them.

what color smoke? black? whites ok if it goes away prob just water in the exhaust system...

im going to take a wild guess and say either the plug wires worked loose either from impact or water splashing in the hood from a rapid decent in the puddle... or the dist cap is full of water...

my 87 would run like crap after wheeling if i got any water near the dist...just pop it off and dry it out slap it back on and on my merry way...

Edited by unccpathfinder

ok, couldnt get to the pathy, the creek inlet raised last night, and cant get my friends jeep Wrangler across it (all stock) - infact we had to get pulled out by another friend.... this spot is getting really old :furious:

I will be heading over to it tomarrow with my friends full sized chevy 1500 Z71 with 8 total inches of lift, and 38inch Super Swamper TSL :D that should make it, and if not, he has a 10,000lb weinch and some tow straps and chains, he can just pull the damn thing back to the road if i cant get it going :D

as for the smoke, it is white, but smells like gas, and maby oil, but not sure.

Jon

Edited by jonainmi

oil will be blue...white is prob just condensation/water/mud in the pipes...the gas smell im still leaning towards no spark in a couple of cylinders due to either cap or plug wires or and/or plugs possibly being fouled...

i would check the air filter if its wet...pull all of the plugs and turn the engine over for like 5-10 secs to blow any water out of the cylinders (hopefully if htere is any it hasnt already messed something up on the initial crank) but i dont think u have water in the intake my 87 has actually ate some water/mud and i never knew it till i changed the filter the next go round...

then i'd check all the wires and dist cap and if she cranks let her run till its at operating temp and i bet she'll be running fine...

Yeah...before you try to start it, pull the air filter. Seriously. If the air filter's all wet and there was water in the engine, trying to start it could bend a rod and ruin the engine. If it's wet you're safest to pull the plugs and turn it over to shoot out any water that's left inside.

ok, couldnt get to the pathy, the creek inlet raised last night, and cant get my friends jeep Wrangler across it (all stock) - infact we had to get pulled out by another friend....

Jon

at this point i would start with opening up everything and that includes the ECU. if it wasn't swamped before i bet it is now. if you have any signs of water on the inside, when you get there tomorrow, then make sure you don't power up anything. i'd actually disconnect the battery immediately.. tow it home and open everything up.. let it dry out for a couple of days, in a warm garage if you can. check/change all the fluids.. wd40 all inside the cylinders, open and dry the distributor.. once everything is completely dry then reconnect everything, pray and give it a shot.

I live in barling, right next to Fort Smith for those of you that dont know, but i was playing in a half horse town called Rudy. :(

Well, got pulled out to the road thanks to some friends, But she wont fire.... still.

I pulled the plugs turned her over, shot a bit of oil out. got worryed, checked the oil, and water, no mixing. Im gussing that i got it sideways enough to get oil into the cylnder to foule the plugs. Going tomarrow to put new plugs in and try to get her home. if not, im going to need a trailer to get it home to work on it.

Will let you guys know what is going on tomarrow.

Jon

ok, quick update, got the truck out of rudy, now its in alma. Still not runing right, but atleast it is at a shop where i can work on it at.

Curent prognosis.

Truck was setting at a ~45 degree angle for about 5 hours, oil leaded up into one cylnder, fauled the plug, sprayed fule into the cylnder, leaked into the pan, thined the fule enough to leak past the valve guids and up past the rings.

Either that or a blowin head gasket...... :(

Jon