update on my frame

adamzan

Here are some pics of my frame, its only bad in that area though

:confused:

If you look you can see that there had been some rust prevention applied but it just didn't work.

i might be able to get a deal on some help fixing it

Oh and the only reason its muddy is because my friend took it wheeling without me knowing!!!! Lets just say i had a chat with him -argue-

pathyframepu1.jpg

pathyframe2zh2.jpg

Edited by redfinder

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H O L Y S H ! T.....That's bad :eek:

Wonder what it would cost to ship a frame from NZ to you?

They look like Bridgestone D693's :blink:

Edited by TerranoNZ

Im still gonna try and fix it somehow, waiting to hear from someone about it. The frame after the rear wheel will need plating as well, as there are a few golf ball sized holes.

TerranoNZ, Those tires are 31x10.5 bridgestone dueller AT's with like 95 percent tread left. I don't know that much about tires, they came with the truck when my dad gave it to me, are they good?

Oh and what is that thing to left that is disconnected? It appears to be some kind of linkage. Its been like that for years. The one on the right is fine though.

Edited by redfinder

It's a sway bar link. I don't even have a rear swaybar. It's fine, though, my frame doesn't look ANYTHING like that.

Good luck with the repair. :aok:

wow thats terrible i thought mine was bad. I'd certainly question your safety with that truck. remember you can't put a price on your life. Whoever does the work make sure everything is reinforced. def get a price quote before having it all done. maybe buying a parts pathfinder and putting your stuff on that one might be cheaper in the long run. It Appears you'll need a total rear frame rebuild. How is the rest of the body?

Scott

The rest of the body is in very good condition, then engine runs clean with no abnormal noises, the tires are almost brand new, been very well maintained mechanically, and no this truck is not currently on the road, but I hope to get it back on soon! Also there are certain other conditions to owning this truck which means I can't just sell it off for parts.

Just make a frame cap and cap the rusted area. Just make sure to extand as far as you can beyond the rusted area. You frame has been fixed before correct? Or what is that plate welded to the frame.

I'll take that sway bar link :) I still need one.

No the frame has not been repaired before, that was my friend and i trying to repiar some of the rot. And I'd probably give you that sway bar link but this truck needs to pass an ontario safety inspection, and i belive you need the sway bars for that?? Im in ottawa and only 17, any other wd21 owners around with the same problem locally?

Edited by redfinder

Im still gonna try and fix it somehow, waiting to hear from someone about it. The frame after the rear wheel will need plating as well, as there are a few golf ball sized holes.

TerranoNZ, Those tires are 31x10.5 bridgestone dueller AT's with like 95 percent tread left. I don't know that much about tires, they came with the truck when my dad gave it to me, are they good?

Oh and what is that thing to left that is disconnected? It appears to be some kind of linkage. Its been like that for years. The one on the right is fine though.

Yeah they are a bit old though ( those are D693's latest model is D694's).

Good all-terrain, depends on what your doing.

I wonder if it would be worth while checking on the shipping $$ for the rear half of the frame from New Zealand to you. You could get it welded in. Shame your so far away. :(

Those tires were purchased august of 2005, the last month that truck was on the road.

TerranoNZ, how far does that frame piece reach from the front end?

Gotrek what do you mean by frame cap, do you mean make a 3 sided piece and weld it to the bottom of the frame. If so how would I go about re attaching that crossmember link thing?

I think I might have found someone to do it, I offered them 500 bucks plus all the materials (welder, mask, grinder, metal, truck) and they were happy with that. They do live 5 hours away and they said pick a weekend.

Edited by redfinder

That;s exactly it a three sided piece that will cap the exisiting frame. Make it out of plate or heavy guage sheet metal. cap the frame rail. If the rus is so bad that the ladder bar attachement point is rusted as well you'll need to cut it and weld it back in place to the new structure you're adding. Right now it looks like you can cap up to it,

You weld your cap all the way around not just at the bottom :)

I'l snap some pictures of a crappy cap I made last weekend It passes safety in manitoba so I'm sure it would pass in ontario our safety is stricter then yours.

I capped my GF's pathies frame as well I'll snap some pictures althoguh you won't see much since it's rubber coated now.

Edited by Gotrek

Thanks go trek, and what do you mean by ladder bar? Is that the thing thats broken off? I was told that had something to do with upper control arms?

Also does anyone have and dimensions so i know what sizes to cut?

Edited by redfinder

I'm looking at the rear of your pathfinder in those pictures.

The ladder bar anchor anchors the ladder bars to the frame :) I looked at your picture again and see your anchors is still there and well attached so never mind :) there are no upper control arms on the rear of your pathfinder.

It would been better to have pictures with the tire off :) in the third picture I can see your anchor and it looks ok

But yeah just make a frame cap

Oh by the way that second picture is of the passenger side and the first is of the drivers side. For the passenger side i stuck my cell phone under the truck and snapped a pic. But i'll make sure to remove the tires and take detail pics with my good digital camera. The bottom of the framerail is in sad shape and will probably need alot of capping it think.

i still don't understand what the ladder bars are? :confused:

I can't believe nissan hasn't even opted to pay for a portion of the repairs, since this should not happen to a truck of this age.

What, they should pay for someone not keeping up on the proper maintenance of their Pathfinder and letting it rust out? I'm sure it all happened within a few minutes, right? Heh. If you look in the owner's manual it details washing out the frame as part of regular maintenance. Remember, a 94 is 13 years old now. I can't think of ANY manufacturer that would donate freebies to a 13 year old vehicle, regardless of the extent of problems with it.

"Ladder bars" is an improper term...they are rear axle control arms.

Those tires were purchased august of 2005, the last month that truck was on the road.

TerranoNZ, how far does that frame piece reach from the front end?

Gotrek what do you mean by frame cap, do you mean make a 3 sided piece and weld it to the bottom of the frame. If so how would I go about re attaching that crossmember link thing?

I think I might have found someone to do it, I offered them 500 bucks plus all the materials (welder, mask, grinder, metal, truck) and they were happy with that. They do live 5 hours away and they said pick a weekend.

As long as you want it to be....if I can get the frame.....FREEBIE :D

It is too bad. I really want this thing back on the road. I just had to use my moms 2000 isuzu rodeo for a timmys run. That truck is the biggest r50 knock off ive ever seen. And supposedly its the american competitor for the pathfinder, well the pathy wins again. :D

Alright I have purchased a 12 inch wide 4 foot long plate of 3/16 inch thick steel. My friends brother is a good welder (its his job) but him and my friend live in orillia ontario and I'm in ottawa. I offered him 500 bucks flat and a place to stay to do the job. How does that sound?

I can't believe nissan hasn't even opted to pay for a portion of the repairs, since this should not happen to a truck of this age.

I have said this MANY times, and no one seems to agree with me. I feel that Nissan should be sued in a class action suit. I don't care how many of you say that it is because you don't clean the frame, that's BS! Cleaning the frame is important but no way in hell should a frame fall apart on so many Pathfinders as they have. They are VERY LOW QUALITY frames, I guess bad metal! I say $#&% Nissan!

Zack

Well, good luck on that one. If the problems were only on newer vehicles I could see it going somewhere, but on a 13-year-old vehicle you're on your own. Regular inspections and maintenance should prevent rust of the type we're seeing. It's just that nobody checks or does anything preventative to stop it from happening until it's too late, then they all yell about how Nissan makes shxtty frames, etc...

If they had only checked the frame once a year instead of once every ten years...!

88's right. You have ot be a fawkin idiot to blame nissan that YOUR frame fell apart because YOU didnt mantain it, like THEY stated in the manual.

take any new car, and dont preform proper maitness on it and see what shape its in, 13 years down the road. see how long that new motor lasts when you dont replace the oil. or air filter. plugs. oitfilter. list goes on, and on, and on...you CANT say those are a different thing. its ALL maitness. all manufactures state that you have to do different things for different vehicals. and on the pathfinder one of them was to clean the frame.

if the frame roted away like that a year after you bought it you may have some ground. but not 13 years later. those pictures just show you what lazyness gets you.

maybe we should start a lawsuit because our gas tank was empty a week after we bought our new car :blink: