Electrical Question

Simon

Alright, since I'm not sure if this is do-able....I figure I'll post up, and let some of the smarter guys answer this one.

I am looking into buying a new Air Compressor, and, for the money, would like to get a 60gallon....which, in turn, usually means a 240v motor (7H.P peak on most models)

Currently, I don't own my own house, and am relegated to using my parent's garage for my automotive repairs. I don't want to have to run a 240v feed into the garage there, if I can avoid it, as my dad doesn't seem too keen on the idea, since it's only temporary.

The question is, if I get a 240v compressor, is there any way I can run it, without having a 240v power feed in the garage?

:shrug:

Only if the motor is rewirable to also run on 120 - some of the "smaller" 240 volt motors can be. It is not nearly as efficient running on 120 and will likely require a full 20 amps so it will need a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Check your available supplies. In the US, most 120 circuits are only 15 amp, but most modern homes will also have a couple 20 amp circuits - and usually one of those will be in the garage. But you may have to shut off everything else on that circuit when the compressor is starting up.

How far away is the nearest 240 outlet to where you want to run the compressor? Maybe an extension cord could be fabbed up?

And 240 volt compressors are really nice to have. Not only more powerful, but more energy efficient as well. I ended up with a 120 as my garage at the time had only 120. I plan to upgrade the motor as I now have 240 access.

Well, that's another option, as the Coleman Powermate 5H.P (peak) models are dual voltage....so I could run them at 120v now, and 240v Later, when I buy my own house again. Here's one I'm looking at.

http://www.colemanpowermate.com/compressors/cl0502713.shtml

One question though, would running the motor at 240v later, boost it's power output? In turn, would my CFM measurement increase?

Unfortunately, both 240v outlets in the house are pretty well at the other end, and mom might not like me running an extention cord through her kitchen!! :P:lol:

Edited by Simon

As I understand it, not just by changing the voltage.

The CFM is a function of the pump. To change the output, you need a larger displacement pump, or run it faster.

With enough investigation, maybe you can find a line of compressors in which they use the same pump with different pulley ratios to get different outputs?

That way you can keep the same pump, but then "overdrive" it with a stronger motor and different pulley ratios. Or of course, you can just do your own experiments if you can find pulleys to fit! A good quality pump could probably be overdriven 10-30% with minimal risk.

If you're going to run it in near continuous duty, you will want to add a better fan to cool the pump. I just set a big box fan next to mine when I'm running it hard for extended periods (sand blasting, running DA sanders, cutting wheels, grinders, etc)

And I'm glad to see you're looking at oil style pumps. They are light years better than the oil-less style. Changing the oil every year or two is ultra simple, and the oil style are much quieter and more durable.

Just for reference, I purchased a relatively inexpensive Campbell Hausfield "Industrial" compressor about 8 years ago. The biggest tank, highest CFM 120v compressor I could find at the time. 40 gallon horizontal tank, 20 amp 120 motor, cast iron oil-style pump.

It doesn't look like they make it anymore, but it was similar to this but with bigger tank and steel belt guards.

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs...tegory_rn=10537

It has been an absolute rock. Drain the water every couple months, change the oil every year or three. Purrs away.

Edited by mws

Yeah, I've done my research on the Oil lube vs Oil-less, as well as direct vs belt drive models. The one I currently have (money was tight at the time) is an oil lube, direct drive model.....though, only an 8 gallon tank...

I have looked at the one you posted, though, again, it's a 220v model. It's got a high CFM rating as well.

I guess I'll just get myself a good 5H.P model, with a big enough tank (most I've found are 20-27 gallon)

Thanks for your help, Martin. :beer:

Another way to cheat:

When I am using a very high cfm tool that exceeds what my compressor can output on a continuous basis, I plug my 10 gallon portable tank in as well through use of a t fitting - thing "in parallel" with the tool. That gives me a total of 40 gallons of air so I can run for quite a while before the pressure drops and I have to stop and let it recharge. You can add more than one as well. Yes, it also takes longer to recharge, but I just use that time to prepare another barley pop container for the recylcer!

Good thought.....I've been thinking about picking up a spare tank for trail air-ups and the like. Would be good for that well.

Good tip! :aok:

oh ok thanks. This is kind of off topic, but how big of a tank do I need to fill up all of my tires? i am looking to get some onboard air but I don't have the bones to get an adequite(sp?) compressor.

It depends on how heavy the tank is and how much pressure it can safely hold. A 5-lb liquid CO2 tank will fill between 15-30 tires, depending on size. A typical 5-gallon standalone compressed air tank will only do 3 or 4 max. And small tires, at that if I'm not mistaken.

Get a little cig lighter-powered compressor. They're not that expensive these days and they work fine. You could also refill the tank with the compressor if you needed to. :)

I got this for $10 on clearance at Harbor Freight Tools before Christmas...

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-CC...t/dp/B0002IKSU2