On board welder ?

glenn

or at Paragon with a broken shock mount...

People in the park saved my ass the last day of the Nor Easter with one... dont know what type it was, but it was damn sweet!

If I get an OBW, I've already settled on the Mobi Arc 150 because of its size. The PPW is much larger. I just need to decide if I really need to have an OBW, considering I've never even struck an arc before...

dont worry its extremely easy....(welding that is)

but i think it would be a good idea to get some lessons or teach yourself how to weld with a normal welder (be it arc, mig tig, whatever) and then purchase your OBW

I've seen a simple dual battery and jumper cable setup for field-welding as long as the welding rod is thin. Good enough to get you home but I wouldn't let it go much longer than needed before making a good strong fix

I don't think that an on-board welder is necessary on an everday driver. If I were to get one it would have to be on an off-road vehicle only. I just don't see the purpose in spending that much money on something I have never needed and will probably never need.

99% of the people on here don't need one. The only people that would really benefit from it are the ones that constantly break things or like the piece of mine knowing that they can fix something if it breaks.

I've also considered getting one since they're cheap and powerful since I would only use it several times a year for home projects. Just think of your VG33 as a giant generator...

A buddy of mine has an onboard welder that he did the cheap easy way. This is the perfect setup for someone who wants a welder and doesn't want to buy one of the expensive kits.

System-f is the guy I'm talking about. I'm not sure if he's on this forum, but his trail rig is a R50.

Here's a link to the discussion.

If you want to drop some $$$ I'd suggest getting a Ready Welder. It's basic mig welding using car batteries. You can get that thing to weld real nice and hot with only two batteries. I've only used one once, but I was impressed enough that I'm getting my own when income tax time rolls around. (Income tax is when the IRS "US gov." gives us poor people a little bit of our tax money back.)

:beer:

Edited by TrailChaser