Cooling Fan Clutch

KevinKernaghan

If its hard to turn when the engine is cold its prolly shot. Or if your truck sounds like a bus when you drive.

one in good condition should spin just a bit and then stop when you give it a whirl; that's when it's cold. when hot the spinning should be less if at all.

Well, I tested it cold and it spun pretty freely...so I suppose I should look elsewhere. My "coolant temperature gauge" (if you can call it that) only pegs after hours of driving at about a quarter of the scale...this is why I wish car companies would give us actual temperature readings instead of dummy gauges(though now I think most cars have digital displays that can tell this information).

So I suppose it's probably most likely a thermostat issue; either that or maybe Pathys just have a really competent cooling system? How long do yours take to warm up (measured to where the heater starts to blow warm air after a cold overnight rest), and where on the "gauge" do they finally land?

if it's too free it's shot too.

on really cold days i recirculate the air so it's almost instant.. otherwise as soon as the needle moves i get hot air. 5min maybe? my needle stops about 1/3 of the way. i have only seen it up higher (maybe 1/2 way) when wheeling in the mountains.

if yer pathy isn't running correctly, yes, gas mileage is affected.

yeah, my pathys also hit 1/4 way after about 10-15 min road and 5-10 min freeway. when it's hot out they reach fulloperating temp of 170.

i am beginning to wonder if they put a 180 t stat in king tho cuz he always runs about 180 but NEVER any higher.. no matter what i'm doing

Edited by Slick