Where is the OEM fog light fuse?

BLouisGod

I bought new oem style fogs, hooked em up in place of the old stockies, and Ive got no light out of either of them. The stock fog light switch on the console now lights up when I turn it to the on position where it didnt before, however Im getting no light. Any insight???? :oops:

Edited by BLouisGod

It should be near the battery on the pass. side under the hood.

Ditto what 88 said. Look for a a kinda rubber/plastic inline fuse holder (at least on mine). I've heard they moved around and varied a little bit through the years, but that could just be from previous owners hacking at stuff. Can you find and trace a wire from the battery to a relay bolted somewhere around the upper passenger side firewall? That should be the circuit if its stock, and you should find the fuse somewhere inbetween.

First check: Have someone flip the switch and listen - you should hear the relay "click".

Oh, and you do have the headlights on and on low beam, right? With the stock wiring, the fogs will only come on only with the low beams.

I just learned from u guys again...wow...I have my Off Road lights wired to the factory switch...they both went out...thought that they shorted out, nope, I replaced the corroded fuse behind the battery and poof....my lights work. This is what makes this "association" so sweeeet. THANX :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: -alcohol- -alcohol- -alcohol- -alcohol-

First check: Have someone flip the switch and listen - you should hear the relay "click".

Oh, and you do have the headlights on and on low beam, right? With the stock wiring, the fogs will only come on only with the low beams.

The relay cliks, the fuse is ok, the ground from the relay is good. Any other thoughts - they are still dead!

Wow, great resource here. Kudos to the regulars and moderators. Mind if I ride along on this thread? I have essentially the same issue: OEM fogs stopped working. Can't find the fuse or the relay. 1992 SE 4WD. Sounds like I should first check for a blown fuse, then relay operation. No strict location for either of these even though it's OEM?

Thanks.

My fogs are under the bumper, rather than in it. Will trace out the wires over the weekend and see where I end up. Probably should have done this before posting (duh), but just assumed I'd end up in a wiring harness/junction or something that would be hard to fathom from there. Thanks.

Edited by xiphias

*facepalm* Where are the lights? Derrr

No, theres a ground near the relay. Is there a seperate ground for each lamp? I installed new lamps and didnt see a seperate ground for each lamp, as you seem to indicate in the previous posts.

Ok, traced the fog wires back to a Bosch 0332014150 relay. (5-pin 12v 30A). On the firewall, passenger side.

Couldn't find a fuse anywhere between the lights and the relay. There is a cluster of stuff tied to the positive battery terminal, well-taped, etc. Hard to trace out due to lots of plastic shielding, the tape, etc.

Should I just replace the relay and see what happens, or keep trying to find a fuse? Gotta be around there somewhere, right?

Id say keep looking for that oem fuse. Problem is is when we get these pfs with 100k+ on em, so much crap has been done its hard to find what the hell the person was thinking - ie their heated seats wiring jobs. Nonetheless, the fuse has to be off the + side of the battery somewhere. If the relay clicks when you hit the switch, it dosnt need to be replaced. You may have to find the ground for the lights, which is what Im trying to find... if people would be more helpful here :hide: hopefully later if I have time after I fix the trans.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure the factory wattage is 55 watts per bulb.

10A is big enough, but 15 is OK.

The solution is to find the short and eliminate it.

(2) 55 watt bulbs = 110 W

110W/13.2V = about 8.3 amps

If you are pulling almost 30 amps (most fuses will not blow until you are flowing double the rated current....) into a circuit that should be 8 amps, well, you clearly have a short in there somewhere!