Tire swap

arctic_mark

Got some nice nearly brandnew MTs on crappy old rims and want to swap these over on to my nice Nissan lego rims. Is this something that is easy and/or worth while to do by myself and save on the $$$ at Kal-Tire (guess they'd still need to balance 'em tho)? Any hints on how to do it with minimal kit?

Unless you can benchpress 450 and tear phonebooks in half with your bare hands, you will need some tools - like a pedestal to secure it, a bead breaker, and a big honkin tire bar. Of course, once you get them, you can do all your own tires. Some buddies and I went in on a setup for our motorcycle tires and it paid for itself after mounting 8 sets.

its $5 at walmart for a tire swap(removal and instal). we have a tire stand. but for $5 its not worth our time.

for a M/T tire I would get it done and balanced. I never balanced any tires before and never had a problem. but I bought my first set of M/T's(Xterrians) and had them mounted and balanced. one tire has a very small weight while another has almost 1/4 rim full.

its $5 at walmart for a tire swap(removal and instal). we have a tire stand. but for $5 its not worth our time.

for a M/T tire I would get it done and balanced. I never balanced any tires before and never had a problem. but I bought my first set of M/T's(Xterrians) and had them mounted and balanced. one tire has a very small weight while another has almost 1/4 rim full.

it's 7.00 a tire at Walmart here in AL..or at least when I worked there it was..3.50 to take it off and 3.50 to put back on...then 7.50 a tire to balance.....but I wouldnt get it balanced at walmart...after the first of the year, they are closing the TLE at all walmarts and turning it over to a independent company.....

Edited by 88blk4x4

anyone can rip a phone book in half with their bare hands, theres a trick to it...but other than that, your crazy to try and change a tire without the proper tools.

But, if you're feelin froggy here's how, drive over it to pop the bead off, then pry it the rest of the way off, then pry the new one back on, douse it with lighter fluid, throw a match and set the bead. I've seen it done once, on the trail, and I don't recommend it. But if you do it pleeeeease get it on video when you set the bead, cuz I wanna see it again.

Edited by Pavelow Leaks

If you are planning on doing it yourself, it is do-able, but you will need some guidance. First, remove the valve stem core. For this you will need a core tool. Second, break the bead on the tire. You have to lubricate it, use a soapy water solution on the sidewall. Then, using a sledge hammer, smack one side of the tire while standing on the other side. Then, take a...on second thought...go to a tire shop. It will save you tons of time. If you still want to do it on your own, pm me.

Edited by jason

Yeah, thanks for the advice guys. Looks like a trip to my nearest Sprawl-Mart is called for. Was thinking of the driver-over and lighter fluid/WD40 method, having watched the "instructional icelandic videos" on You Tube (

and Vid 2). But as I doubt my wife would want to be any where near me to video that, I think the WalMart option is a better one! Edited by arctic_mark

we have a tire changer table thingie with tools in our garage.. my god has it paid for itself 100 times over!!!!! :bow: :bow:

i have seen the wd40 / lighter deal used on alan's 38's adn 42's..... and i also think that's how he lost his eyebrows, and dave was caught on fire once.... not such a safe option....

tire shop all the way. :aok:

you can use a jack and do it manually with a crowbar but this is what i recomend

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Its $49.99 US and if not that then go pay the 7-12 dollars wherever you need to

because to do it by hand is a PITA

just my 2 cents