Is this possible with SLR Headers

mora2818

http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/headers.htm

What I am wondering if these SLR headers would work with our Pathfinders. According to SLR these headers will bolt up to our blogs but what about our ECU's and oxygen sensors.

Reason I am so curous is that I have some bad exhaust manifolds that need to be replaced anyway so why not get a little more power and effeciency.

Anyone have these or know if we can use them?

Thanks,

Kevin

That's the way these headers are. Sounds like SLR makes them in batches once they have enough owners with a down payment on a set. There are a few guys who have waited several months for them, but the overall performance increase sounds pretty dramatic.

If you're going by the price off their website (I think it says $450) they've since raised the price to somewhere around $550. I was always hoping to find someone else to try it out before I did. :P

I've compared quite a few pictures and I was always set on the opinion they'd fit. I'll also have better luck with them since I've got a drop bracket lift which opens the area where the headers travel down through a good amount.

As far as ECU and O2 sensors go, everything will work for ours. The headers come with an O2 sensor bung installed on each side, however you have to deal with losing the 2nd (downstream) set of cats. This will give you a check engine light at the rear O2 sensors but there are quite a few ways around it if you can get past emissions. You can just get a "fake" sensor that tells the engine everything is good and no harm is done. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if you could make your money back on selling a set. Seems like 1/2 the rear some people don't get them is the hassle of dealing with SLR.

I was considering making you an offer about splitting the losses somehow if you bought them and they didn't work, just since I want the things so damn bad myself.

Back in the day when I was set on getting them, here's what I was going to do. Once you have the headers in hand, I was also going to buy a set of stock exhaust manifolds from the dealer since mine were needing to be replaced. This way I'd try the headers out and hope they worked, but I'd still have a new set of stock exhaust manifolds on hand just incase, which can easily be returned if you don't need them.

Damn, this post turned out long. Hopefully it's at least a little helpful. And try the damn things out for me, please? :laugh:

Edited by tmorgan4

I talked to spencer...he says they fit. However, you'll have to make a custom exhaust from the headers out and make sure you have him terminate the header with a flexpipe for you. He'll put whatever you want on them since they're hand made in the shop.

How do you get a fake sensor or more importantly will local shops have fake sensors and install them. I would guess Emissions should be easy here as most places where I live just plug in and read the ECU. My Subaru WRX has been reprogrammed and throws all sorts of CEL's and doesn't pass emissions however my ECU programmer clears all the CEL's. Last time I had the emissions checked I left my Fule maps at Stage 1 and passed emissions so I imagine the same would appy here, however you never know.

Any suggestions on the fake sensor?

I am hoping this is possible since it seems it will be about a wash either way around here to replace my exhaust manifolds with Stock or Headers.

Yes, O2 simulators are popular with modded imports where the person either can't or doesn't want to buy ana ftermarket ECU.

There are no aftermarket ECU for pathfinder so O2 sim is the way to go.

Next week I am going to talk to a couple exhaust shops and possible some performance shops and see what they can do and get a breakdown on cost. Hopefully they are familiar with O2 simulators and this project will be cost realistic and effective. I'll let you know what I find out.

Yes, O2 simulators are popular with modded imports where the person either can't or doesn't want to buy ana ftermarket ECU.

There are no aftermarket ECU for pathfinder so O2 sim is the way to go.

You mean no ecu that plugs into the harness.... B)

Although that may not help you in an area that requires emissions.

Edited by turbopath

I dunno, exhaust shops aren't supposed to modify the OE emissions system any at all. Same reason they won't remove a cat and replace it with straight pipe.

That probably depends on the emissions regs in your county... I had a exhaust shop put a straight pipe on my old GMC with no issues at all.

I am 100% against going catless. However, if you accidentally cut off your exhaust and showed up with a set of cats any shop will help you out. :) Just make sure they have a nice bender. I put a header on my saturn that was a similar situation and they just bent up some pieces to fit the outlet of the header to the exhaust. Got 42mpg after that. lol.