Upgrading wheels/tires?

moto-m

98 Pathfinder SE

Trying to decide on what wheels/tires to upgrade to. I know I'm gonna go with 31s probably on 15x8 wheels but I'm not sure about the backspacing. I want the new wheels/tires to protrude slightly more than the stock wheels to be flush with the fender flares. Anybody know the best offset for this? Anybody know what the factory offset is? Thanks.

Also, I am thinking about Cragar steel wheels. Should I be concerned with additional weight over the factory aluminum wheels? This is my daily driver and I don't really want to sacrifice gas mileage. Thanks everybody.

Plastic fender flares. I was looking at some American Racing wheels 15x8 with -19 offset but someone said they would stick out too far. I think the factory offset is +40 with 7" wheels, so I was actually thinking around +12 with 8" wheels would be good. That would be 5" backspacing though and you say 4". Is that 4" in the pic? That does look about right. Thanks.

Plastic fender flares. I was looking at some American Racing wheels 15x8 with -19 offset but someone said they would stick out too far. I think the factory offset is +40 with 7" wheels, so I was actually thinking around +12 with 8" wheels would be good. That would be 5" backspacing though and you say 4". Is that 4" in the pic? That does look about right. Thanks.

5" of backspacing is too much if you want the tires to stick out even with the fender flares. The additional BS may also not move a larger tire's shoulder far enough away from the lower spring perch on the strut. However, +12 offset is 4.5" BS, not 5" BS on an 8" wheel.

The wheels shown in the pics above 15x8 with 4" BS and 31" BFG AT's

Since that pic was taken, I have installed plastic fender flares and have replaced the wheels and tires with black 15x8 steel wheels with 3.75" BS and 32x11.50R15 Goodyear MT/R's

31_Dean_MaxsonDome.jpg

Wheels:

Pro Comp Wheels Series 97 15X8 6X5.5 BSM 3.75

rockcrawler_series-97_b.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

Damn, those aren't cheap. Dean, have you ever compared them to stock flares? I wonder if they'd help out with clearence issues I'm running into.

Never compared stock vs EGR, since my rig doesn't have the proper holes in the fenders to accomodate factory flares. Besides that, last time I checked, factory flares were a lot more expensive than the EGR flares.

The thing is, my factory flares are already paid for. :D Just wondering if switching to the EGRs (assuming I could even find them) would do me any good. From the one picture you posted it looks like they might be better. I might have to talk you into doing a little measuring for me right behind the rear door. :lol:

I don't think you'll do any better with the EGR flares. My 32's rub on them big time, so much in fact the brackets that hold them on are bent enough that the flares are no longer flush with the body. There was one time that the flares were misaligned so much that I couldn't open the rear door without pushing the flare out of the way.

• 1 month later...