locking lug nuts

milehighcowboy

i am woundering where i can find a key to my lug nuts? i lost mine recently and feel like an as@ and am afraid to do any real wheeling with out. cant get the tire off with out one. all four of my tires have one. i am considering just getting rid of them once i get them off. its a pain in the as@ ok any help appreciated.

ben

Depends on the brand of lugnut, some are just generic patterns and all are the same, so you could go buy the same brand and it will be the same lock. On the other hand, if you have a good set like gorilla nutz or something in the same quality range you will have to get a copy of the key from the manufacturer. Good luck.

Also try your local tire shops, they might have some layin around that may fit.

Edited by Pavelow Leaks

There are tools you can get with teeth that will bite into them, to remove them. Then you can just replace with regular lugs. I've heard of people breaking them with a hammer and chisel......but I'd be afraid to try that personally.

Bought my '90 with locking lugnuts on it. Searched everywhere for a key, but couldn't find any. Used a grinder to make 2 flat spots being REAL careful not to hit the sweet chromie rims, then put a large crescent wrench on them. Came off pretty easy.

Just the other day I was looking for my papers so I could re-insure it... and found the key in the glove box!!! Where the carp was it when I was looking???

Anyhow, if you are putting nice tires on, you gotta have locking nuts.

Buddy of mine had a '68 mustang with American Racing rims and Eagle T/A's. He went out to his car one morning to find it sitting on a pair of jackstands with all the lugnuts off the wheels except for the locking ones. There was also a pretty sweet hydraulic jack under his car. He happily put the nuts back on and tossed his new jack and stands in his trunk. Locking lugnuts rock unless your tires are crap.

Weld another nut on top of it and twist 'em off. ;)

Had a shop do that to mine, cause another shop lost the key but denied. I've got aluminum rims, but luckily they just screwed up my center caps (the rims cover the lug nuts). They can really be a bear, so depending on the rim, I'd exhaust all options of local shops and such to try and get a key first. Otherwise you're out more lugs/labor/damage, etc.