Pulley Problem

Guest NutCaseMel

Guest NutCaseMel

Hey, Y'all.

I'm trying to get to the timing belt on my 99 Pathfinder. I have a Chilton's, and I think it has led me down the rosy path. If you follow the procedure, it has you try to get the crank pulley off by prying it off with a pair of screwdrivers, and if It's difficult to remove, use a jaw-type gear puller to remove the pulley. They even have a picture of someone using a four inch three jaw puller on a belt grove. I was skeptical, but I figure, give it a go. Well, the lip on the pulley grove failed and, so I tried it again on a different place. Failed. I need a new pulley and the old one is still where I left it. What am I doing wrong? The holes in the pulley seem to be too small to thread into, but I'm going to the shop now to try a harmonic balancer puller.

Guest NutCaseMel

You got that right - I think that the longest section of pulley lip theat flew off was three inches. Thanks for the tip. $235 for a new pulley and maybe a nastygram to chiltons. I think that the chilton's manual is probably the reason none of the salvage yards have a pulley - they sold them all.

Guest SuperSon

I was reading up on the chiltons too. I think you got the Vibration damper (crankshaft pulley) mixed up with the gear pulley(crankshaft timing pulley) which sits behind it(2B-12 11.3 and 11.4). Chiltons has the illustration where they pry the gear pulley with 2 screwdriver just to make enough room for the jaw type puller jaws to fit behind it.

It clearly illustrates on the chiltons manual (29-8 9.6)to use the correct puller which in this case a harmonic balancer puller.Its pictured in there.

Just right below that picture is a warning note

Caution:Dont use a puller with jaws that grip the outer edge of the damper!The puller must be the type shown in the illustration that utilizes bolts to apply force to the damper hub only.

Edited by SuperSon

Guest NutCaseMel

We are trying to get the Harmonic Balancer / accesory drive pulley off. Please excuse the spelling in what follows, I had a friend type it cause my hands were greasy:

Sectoin (2B-12 of chiltons manual) that we have copywrite 2002 manual num 52503 says refer to chapter 2A for rumoval of crak shaft pully. Chapter 2A is for 2.4 4 Cylinder engine. That says "if pully is difficulte to remove use a jaw type puller to pull it off." The illustrations showes a 3 jaw puller around the center hub. Obvously this step in pricedure has been revised sence then. I bought this manual two days ago. SO if you have this manual don't do that. It will break the pully many times. We are trying a stearing wheel puller with 6mm cap screws and lots of washers to bring them up to size. Will keep you posted on what happens next. Wish me luck

WAVEY

Edited by NutCaseMel

Guest NutCaseMel

Well, It came off depressingly easily. We had to use a soft center to keep the puller assembly from pulling to the side, but after that it came right off. The key fell out and good thing we were checking for it or we would have lost it for sure.

When I did the T belt on mine I had no harm bal puller so I drilled a couple of holes in an old brake pad. Bent it a bit then pop it came off. I will invest in the proper tool next time. Oh yeah those magnetic pens are your friend every tool box should have one :aok: