building a bumper replacement/bull bar

milehighcowboy

now i have looked around and i just want some ideas and specs on what to look for. what measurements should i be looking at? tube types? bumper plate size? atachments? i plan to go and take a look at a few at 4 wheel parts and adopt some ideas. also if ya got any ideas for me (pics) let me see em. close up. non-mounted. mounted. mounting brackets. side views. i want it all. i have looked at a few other posts and am not finding any real help. i need numbers and details. everything else is more varied and sparse. thanks.

ben

92 Pathfinder

where and what did you search I have tried searching bull bars for the whole site and looked over all of them also tried singling out just the pics and videos spot only found slicks pics of her pathy which i like the tube design. good job!! thanks for the help.

What kind of welding set up is best for this sort of thing, starting to get the itch to build my own stuff as well. Not to hi jack this but what is better acetylene or mig tig etc?

That's a pretty wide open question... All methods have their strong points and their not so strong points. Cost, ease of use, control, weld quality and strength, and thick plate heating ability are all variables to consider. My standard recomendation is to take a class where you can play with ALL of the technologies and decide for yourself.

I took a night class (7 hours/week for 14 weeks) through our local community college and it was about the best $200 I've EVER spent. Pretty much unlimited time on the equipment to play and learn.

Most home welders settle on SMAW(stick) or GMAW(MIG) for welding up bumpers and the like.

Good idea MWS, might as well learn something new, GF has me going to the local community college with her for dance :dance: lessons for the next 6 wks, lol, so will try and hook that up in the new year. I like the light bar on that one, my ultimate would be with a front class III receiver and a couple of tow hooks.

you guys would be surprised at the willingness of a girl to learn how to weld. as long as she is not a prissy a$$ then your good most the time. i have been able to teach my last three girls how to use a plasma cutter and the most recent how to stick weld. so there really is no harm in asking. just play it out well and show her a benifit that dont have to do with your truck. lol

Sammy,

I have a PDF of those plans, Very similar to mine... I did not like the little dip in the center and just made if flat across the top. It also complicates the Forming and welding.... I may even have a flat pattern lay out on that... Ill look this evening P...