Tech Question

Dowser

Evening all.

I'm doing a take home test for school that is due tomorrow at 8:00am. The part of the course im covering right now is on Materials and Fastening Devices. The only question I cannot find an answer for is,

What is the purpose of a "Master Spline"?

Now.... I've googled and googled some more. I've found things pertaining to set screws and numerous other things... Im tired... my eyes are bleeding from staring at this moniter for too long, and Im in a state of perpetual brain farting so if I'm missing it and its painfully obvious.... then yes.... im retarded. Anyone please chime in and help me understand what I should be understanding that I clearly cannot.

My guess was that it is 1 spline that differs from all others. ( Marked or something.)

Dowser :oops:

Dammm, dude... I'm trying here but not coming up with anything in my engineering texts...

I'm thinking it must be a machinists term rather than engineering?

Have you gone through your machinists handbooks? Don't have one here at my desk...

BERNARD! FRONT AND CENTER! YOU'RE ON DECK!

Perhaps I should be focusing more on the set screw idea then automotive... Although this is an automotive course, this particular module as i mentioned before is strictly dealing with Materials and fasteners. Stuff like bolt tensile strengths, yield points and shear points. Consistancies of Steel, like how much carbon is in mild steel verses hard steel.. or cast iron blah blah blah.

The Site I found on master Splines dealing with set screws was just a Product catalog and really had no mention of what it does. Even a Brief description, even if its just on he product they are selling would help me out im thinking

Dowser

Just thumbed through a machinist's handbook... no mention of a Master Spline...

My next thought is that this is not an industry common term, but perhaps more specific to the textbook used for the class?

Generally, a term like "Master" is used to describe the reference standard, the theoretical ideal or perfect sample to which all reproductions are manufactured to mimic as closely as possible (ie, within specified tolerances to the theoretical perfect)

*Thinks back to days in a machine shop, further back to auto shop and attempts to apply a general logic of the ideas picked up before

My understanding of a master spline is... it is single spline that is unlike all others in the group. And the propose of this is for proper alignment of the two objects... Same idea as the keyway serves on a cranckshaft and CS Pully (although there are no other splines on these objects)

Ok just did a quick search and came up with this image...

mastersplinelf1.jpg

If you look at where the red arrow I put in is pointing you will noticed that there is no spline at that point (unlike the rest of it). Now imagine the shaft that would fit in there, it would have one larger spline that would prevent it from being installed out of alignment.

This is from the same pdf (and web page) that the picture came from...

Both male and female splines are precision gear cut incorporating a master spline for accurate alignment.

Webpage: Quick Release Steering Boss

PDF File: Data Sheet - Quick Release Steering Boss

Now I hope I have this right and that this is what you are looking for. B has not been around for a while, hopefully he will come in tonight and confirm or correct what I/we say here.

Thats exactly the lines I was thinking myself RedPath. And your use of the term Keyway confirmed it for me. Keyways and Woodruff keys are discussed very briefly in this module. In fast out of the 65 pages in the Module, it is only has 1 small paragraph and it makes no mention at all of a Master Spline. :furious:

But from what I've been able to figure out from searching, the info you guys have been providing, and just plain intuition thats what I'm thinking as well. :aok: I looked thoroughly in the section pertaining to splines and Helical gears but found no mention of it there either. Oh well... running out of time and this seems like it has to be right to me... I appreciate the responses and the time you guys spent helping me sort this out a bit. I'll let ya know if we're all right... :D

Dowser :oops:

A master spline would be an indexing point, like the 4 cutouts on the steering gearbox's output shaft for the pitman arm. You can only put the pitman arm on in four different positions, and only one of those is correct. Same with a master spline, I would think. One wide spline point and the rest uniform means you can only slide parts together in one rotational position.

How's that?