OLD TIMING BELT LOW MILES .CHANGE?

trashman

Remmeber i'm a newbie ,,just bought a 99 R50 3.3 its got 28k miles on her (actual ) do you guys think i need to replace the timing belt because of its age ? this site has convinced me that this is a weakpoint that will coast mucho to repair if it slings..

28K is awfully low for a 7-year-old. It was either not driven very frequently or it was driven frequently on low-mileage trips. The latter is by far much worse than the former. Are there any maintenance records? Hopefully the oil was changed regularly at 3,000 mile intervals.

Are there any seals or gaskets leaking? How's the battery? Brake fluid? Coolant?

No, unless:

- It had a water pump or oil leak that dumped fluids on the belt.

- It was stored in a garage with a freon compressor running in it (refrigerator, freezer, air conditioner, etc). Freon compressor generate ozone, which attacks rubber.

Does it still have original factory tires? If so, do they show any signs of cracking or checking?

If not, then they were not exposed to much ozone, so the belt wasn't, either.

And how do the accessory drive belts look? Again, if they look to be in great shape, you can assume the timing belt will be the same. But if they are severely glazed and cracked, the belt may be more in question.