Anyone ever broken a timing belt?

2dr

I was just driving along on my way home this weekend at 55 when suddenly the tach went to zero and all was quiet, engine was still turning along with the wheels but not running. So when i rolled to a stop it happened to be at a small auto repair place and the guy just called and said my timing belt broke. So I gather that this is a non interference engine and now i have a hell of a project on my hands. has this ever happened to anyone?

I dont have a lot of confidence in this auto place and i find it hard to believe it was the timing belt and not something electrical, but i just wanted to get some advice from anyone who has replaced the belt to find out what i'm in for.

It is an INTERFERENCE engine. Chances are you've got some bent valves. If you don't trust them, have them show you the belt, and have a look under the upper timing cover. It'll tell you all you need to know.

you also should have heard some scary bangs when valves etc.. got fubared.. otherwise it may be electrical or fuel related.

i broke mine doing about 50-55 and she died...i coasted about a quarter mile listened for the fuel pump it was coming on then i pulled the top cover and saw the 2 cam gears but no belt...changed the belt realized i had 2 dead cylinders...replaced all the valves and slapped the heads back on and she ran for 40k till i changed the spark plugs and something fell down inside and welded to the piston causing all kinds of banging...

but like i said mine was completly quiet didnt hear any banging or clanging...i would pull the t belt cover and if u see no belt or no tension on the belt then theres ure problem...i would suggest doing what i did change the belt if she runs on all 6 ure damn lucky if not either compression check or use insulated plyers and pull 1 plug wire at a time while its running and listen to changes in the engine noise if theres no change thats a dead cylinder...

this was the 1st time i had ever done anything internal and i had my gf at the times dad help me do it we did it in 2 days but 1 day was b/c we got a wrong valve in the box

where abouts are u located? if ure near charlotte i would be willing to help u out with it

Pull the front upper cover... That should be a good indicator on weather you broke the belt or ate the teeth... mine was about 18" of teeth... Gone.....

I Removed and replaced my engine, added some Thorleys, dual oil filter relocation kit...

BTW mine blew 20 miles after installing a 3" SL and sliding on some 33" tires with Alignment....

Depending on the damage you may get away with just some bent valves... I oppted for a swap due to the 224k miles on the engine and 20k miles on a rebuilt tranny.

i broke mine doing about 50-55 and she died...i coasted about a quarter mile listened for the fuel pump it was coming on then i pulled the top cover and saw the 2 cam gears but no belt...changed the belt realized i had 2 dead cylinders...replaced all the valves and slapped the heads back on and she ran for 40k till i changed the spark plugs and something fell down inside and welded to the piston causing all kinds of banging...

but like i said mine was completly quiet didnt hear any banging or clanging...i would pull the t belt cover and if u see no belt or no tension on the belt then theres ure problem...i would suggest doing what i did change the belt if she runs on all 6 ure damn lucky if not either compression check or use insulated plyers and pull 1 plug wire at a time while its running and listen to changes in the engine noise if theres no change thats a dead cylinder...

this was the 1st time i had ever done anything internal and i had my gf at the times dad help me do it we did it in 2 days but 1 day was b/c we got a wrong valve in the box

where abouts are u located? if ure near charlotte i would be willing to help u out with it

well, that doesn't sound like an interference engine.. hmm.. you're the first and the only one i have heard not to have damaged the crap out of vg30 like that.. hmmm

every1 i talked to said it was b/c as soon as it died my natural reaction was to hit the clutch...but i dont really thing the bottom end would slow down that fast...i imagine the top end only made it maybe 2 revs after it broke but the bottom end prob went a couple more thousand u know?

i could see where the valves hit the pistons tho it left lil half moon crests but no visible cracks

Edited by unccpathfinder

you also should have heard some scary bangs when valves etc.. got fubared.. otherwise it may be electrical or fuel related.

My wife's 94 HB didn't make any scary bangs or anything when it's T-belt broke and valves bent. It had been idling for 2 minutes when it died. I tried to start it back up and nothing. Only thing I could hear was a sound like something rubbing inside the ditributor.

Well thanks for all the experiences guys, and I live in WI so not really near charlotte but thanks for the offer. I did the valves and head on my 87 acura integra, and I have an infiniti m30 which has pretty much the same engine, so i guess i will give fixing it a shot. I'm still hoping that something just broke in the distributor because the mechanic said he just took the rotor cover off and cranked the engine and it didnt move. I might get to look at the truck tomorrow. Sure wish I didnt have to tow it 30 miles to get it back to my meager workshop.

anyway yeah no bangs and i dont think i even hit the clutch right away, it definitely spun a few hundred revolutions. plus turning it over with the start button.

If the timing belt is broken or missing teeth, the rotor will not move.... Buy a manual look at the diagrams...

If the belt is missing/broken... when the crank turns it also rotates the cam sprockets... drivers side cam drives the distributor.......

If the timing belt is broken or missing teeth, the rotor will not move.... Buy a manual look at the diagrams...

If the belt is missing/broken... when the crank turns it also rotates the cam sprockets... drivers side cam drives the distributor.......

yea what he said...i would lean a lot more towards broken belt....

and that looks sweet but i believe i've heard problems with getting that bad boy in with the TTs...possibly a right combination of lift and fab work u could get them to fit?

I was looking at v8s and was suprised to see that a comparable condition small block costs double what that 30det costs. but i guess i would need a new computer and the fuel injection would suck.