Newbie - intro and ready for Q&A

zayas

Hello everyone. Finally, made an effort to find a forum for the wife's 1999.5 Pathfinder LE (no off-road). It's been a dependable truck for the longest time but now that it's got 80K miles little things are getting annoying and wife wants a new car/truck. I think this one got many more years to it as long as I can fix some of the problems

Right now I'd like to tell you about the suspension to see if anyone can direct me to the proper answer. The rear suspension is lousy. It bottoms out when going over even the smallest size bump/pothole. If you put the slightest weight on the back like a 2 adults it seems like the rear is close to the wheels. The front also is loose. When you hit a bump if making a turn, it seems the car shifts to one side or other.

The 1999.5 was the first model where the changed the body style/engine and wonder if this is a known problem. Am thinking Nissan didn't do a good job designing the suspension when this model arrived.

Anyone have any experience with this problem? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums... glad you found us :aok:

As Slick said, check your rear shocks and front struts. If the ride is real bouncy that is a clue that the struts and/or shocks are bad. Visual indicators include oil/fluid on the outside of them or components directly below... if they have been blown for a long time then you can add dirt and grime to that.

That would be the first place to start, second would be the rear springs, if it sags that much then they me be worn out. Are you the first owner? If you not it may have had a hard life prior to you getting it.. perhaps it was driven hard, off roaded hard or may be it was used as a frequent tow rig.. which over time wrecks havoc on the rear suspension.

How many miles are on the truck?

Actually, they changed the body style and that in 96, the changes are very minor on the 99.5 (brakes for one, and a few styling differences)

Our trucks are known for strut issues, so that could be your trouble up front.

Nice to have another member of the point five club! B)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Now for some newbie type questions. I just realized this forum is named "off-road" and my wife hasn't shown any interest in starting, so am I still welcome to post here?

Assuming I am, shall I continue to ask questions on this particular thread regarding suspension and move to the other thread when I have a different topic to discuss?

Here's are a few more questions I wanted to pose.

rear shock replacements - any recommendations; supplier I use carries KYB GR-2 & Gas-a-just; again not doing any off-road

Does a service repair manual on CD exist? I noticed online auction (don't know if I can use the Ebay) had some listed for people in the UK). I have one for my other car and find it better than hardcopy. I bought a Haynes manual but not real happy with its content.

Thanks again.

I just realized this forum is named "off-road" and my wife hasn't shown any interest in starting, so am I still welcome to post here?

Only if you dont mind us making fun of your groceries... :P;)

All are welcome.

rear shock replacements - any recommendations; supplier I use carries KYB GR-2 & Gas-a-just; again not doing any off-road.

I have KYB GR-2 Struts in the front, and they are well recommended... for the back, the popular brands are the Bilstiens & Rancho... of course the recommendations were made for offroad, but I dont see why they wont work onroad too...

Does a service repair manual on CD exist?

Let the magic of the internet help you... ;) (I use the 2000 manual, as it has more in common with the 99.5 than the 99's do)