VG30-VG33 Swap

Guest Leeroy

I hear you can swap the vg30e from a 95 pathy for a supercharged vg33e from a Xterra, i was wondering if anyone knew if this is possible and what it would take, new ecu, tranny, ect. cause i would like the more powerfull fuel effencient engine, and i can get one right now for about 1500usd and am very interested in the swap, so any information would help.

Thankyou

Lee

You can use the VG33 long block, if you use a VG33ER you will need new engine wireing harness and ECU, same tranny same mounts everything. Also you need to put the VG30 crank into the VG33/ER and use the VG30 pullys and belts and cam gears. And dont use the ER, the M60 is a joke. Just use the VG33 LB including block and heads, and use the VG30 intake and injectiong and crank and youll be set. Oh and yes, its very possible, im going to do it as soon as i can find a VG33, also ive heard you can switch out the M60 (Eaton SC) for an M90 (lots better).

Edited by FLApathy

i dont know if the mounts are the same but i think i've heard people talk about them...

but what i would do is find an x that was either wrecked or had a bad tranny or something...if the mounts are the same then heres what i'd do....

measure the dash and see if it would be possible to install...then strip the x all the way down (have to to get the wiring harness out)

strip the pathy all the way down...kinda check and see if u can fit the dash in without any of the other crap...they'er really tight to get in and out (at least the 95 was hard to get into my 87)

lay the harness out in ure truck drop the engine in...u'd prob have to change out pedals and all that good stuff but if u have a whole truck its not a big deal...

i think it would be slick to have an x dash in the pathy...but then again i thought it was cool to have the 4 dr dash in the 2 dr...but i'll hopefully get to see what every1 thinks at URE

good luck

Very possible, however, like has been said, it is recommended that you just use the N/A VG33 as the M60 is only good for 20hp, and the extra hassle isn't worth it.

Here's a couple links from someone who did this in a Hardbody:

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...art=1&vc=1&nt=2

http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tp...131#82410576131

i meant for the ECU...it wont run correclty with 3.3 L displacement with the ecu fueling it for 3.0 L will it?

but i could be mistaken

I'm thinking it will likely just do fine, but I don't know for a fact.

The ECU is making calculations to provide a proper mixture ratio based on how much air is going in the engine and what the output is. So it will self compensate for the extra displacement while in closed loop operation. They only risk I see is in the max fuel allowed by the ECU at WOT where it goes open loop. The amount of fuel is fixed while in open loop, so it will not compensate for the extra air. However, most maps are quite rich at WOT, so it would likely be OK. Maybe even better.

If it were me, I would try it. I would also install a meter to monitor what the O2 sensor and assure it never goes lean (especially at WOT) just to be sure.

just use the vg30 injection and intake, then you can use everything, ECU, harness's, everything.

and like veng said, if you uses a SC'd 3.3 then you would need to swap over everyting, ECU and harness

Edited by FLApathy

Yes, a 3.3 will work in a Pathy. It has been done. The right way to do it is to get some 1995 Q45 pistons and have the block bored to 93mm. You then get 3.4 liters and a bump in compression ratio.. The stock 3.3 rods will work but a set of 300ZX Z32 rods are direct fit. I would not bother with the 3.0 upper plenum. The lowers are pretty much the same. If you use the 3.3 upper you get a larger TC by about 15mm. The other trick is to toss the BS MAF we have on our truck now and use a much larger and open 3.3 from an R50 Pathy. All external castings are the same so your engine mounts will hook right up. As will all accesories.

Yes the accersories will mount up, but you either need to have you 3.3 crank machined to accept the crank pully from the 3.0 or use the 3.0 crank. And just to say it again, use the injection and intake from the 3.0 to elimante the need to swap over the 3.3 harness and ECU.

The ECU is making calculations to provide a proper mixture ratio based on how much air is going in the engine and what the output is

good call i didnt really think of that...it would be nice if we could tune our ECUs...my buddy has a ws6 that hes done a lot of head work and has written a bunch of differnt fuel maps for different setups (ie track on a warm humid night, pass inspection tune etc etc) hes trashed the MAF and all that stuff if i recall correctly...so it'd be really nice if we could tune up our ecus and what not (i dont think its possible to do that but could be wrong)