03 buying advice?

Pathylogical

I currently have a 95 pathy and we are getting ready to buy an 03 (most likely) pathy.

What should I look for in a used one. I know the 95 had the manifold issue and frame rot around the rear tires.

Are there specific problems to look for on the 03's? Any advice what so ever on em?

Thanks guys.

Here is a review of used 01-03 Pathy (would apply to the 04 as well)

review

A summary from the review:

Report Cards

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Road Test

Access: C

Driving position: B

Instruments/Controls: B

Visibility: C

Climate Control: B+

Steering: B-

Brakes: B

Handling: B

Acceleration: B+

Engine: A

Transmission: A

Interior space: C

Trunk/Cargo: C

Noise/Vibration/Harshness: B

Durability/Reliability

Overall: A

Mechanical: A

Hardware/Body/Paint/Trim: A

Safety

Anti-lock braking: yes

Airbags (driver/passenger): yes/yes

Traction control: four-wheel drive

Driver/Passenger Front Crash Protection: ****/***** (out of 5)

Insurance history

Collision cost rating: worse than average

Comprehensive cost rating: worse than average

Theft claim cost rating: worse than average

Thanks folks,

That model run went from 2000-2004? No pathy for 2005 and reintroduced in 2006 right?

We are looking used with the fewest miles probably 2003-2004. I just want to make sure there are no advantages to one year or the other. I also wanted to make sure to avoid any known problems or make sure they were fixed. I leanred that from the manifolds on the 95, I shoulda had that repaired but didn't know.

We love our pathy's and just geeting ready to modernize. I get the 95 as a play toy! It already has the Calmini 3" and steering system upgrade!! wooot!

That model run went from 2000-2004? No pathy for 2005 and reintroduced in 2006 right?

The R50's are from 96-2004, they changed up a couple minor things in 99.5, mostly cosmetic.... in 2005 they introduced the newest pathy we have now.

I dont know of any issues that came up during certain years of the R50's. In general the only known issues for these trucks is the struts, and in the newer ones equipped with the Bose stereo's - there have been issues with the Deck... but that's an easy fix, get an aftermarket stereo!

The R50's are from 96-2004, they changed up a couple minor things in 99.5, mostly cosmetic.... in 2005 they introduced the newest pathy we have now.

I dont know of any issues that came up during certain years of the R50's. In general the only known issues for these trucks is the struts, and in the newer ones equipped with the Bose stereo's - there have been issues with the Deck... but that's an easy fix, get an aftermarket stereo!

On the Bose, it is the 6 cd changer that is the issue. The tape deck is fine, as is the radio part.

I have had no issues with my 02, very happy with it.

Guest pyrophilus

Said this in another posting, but:

R50 ran from 96-04.

I had a '97 that I traded in for a 01 (back in 01).

96-97 had VG33DE engine, which was 160HP and 190 torque.

97-00 also had VG33DE, but it was bumped to 170HP.

01-04 has VQ35DE which is 240HP with timing chain

Going from 160HP '97 to 240HP '01 was pretty neat.

The exhaust manifolds of VG33DE engines are known to crack.

01-04's have alot of emission problems ("service engine light" on).

I had my light come on-and off since new, and recently replaced the entire EVAP canister and two valves and it's off for the longest time now.

All R50s (at least here in North-East US) have resonator rust problem.

My '97 had the resonator rust from inside out, and was replaced under warranty, and the replacement had a hole drilled in it (reconator is the "little rear muffler" that you see just under the rear bumper).

My 01 R50 had the resonator complete rust off and break off at the gasket to the main muffler. The resonator was back-ordered because so many 01 R50's had the same problem. Local dealer wanted $280 for resonator, I paid $58 at Rockauto.com.

Little minor things, like in-dash changer being dead, is common on ALL nissan bose systems.

I think 01 was best year, because it had the 240HP engine, while still having the Limited Slip Differential. Nissan discontinued the viscous LSD and replaced it with electronic stability control system in 02+ models.

It's bad enough that they went unibody contruction with the R50. In 02+ when they removed the LSD, nissan really turned it into a mall-runner.

I believe the 06+ pathfinders also do not have LSD.

... I think 01 was best year, because it had the 240HP engine, while still having the Limited Slip Differential. Nissan discontinued the viscous LSD and replaced it with electronic stability control system in 02+ models.

It's bad enough that they went unibody contruction with the R50. In 02+ when they removed the LSD, nissan really turned it into a mall-runner.

I believe the 06+ pathfinders also do not have LSD.

My 02 has a LSD.

Maybe with our Canadian roads Nissan thought we needed something more rugged :D

In Canada, the 06 Pathy has 4 wheel LSD plus a bunch of other driver nannies. Not sure how it works but that is how it is advertised on the Nissan CA web site.

and replaced it with electronic stability control system in 02+ models.

:shrug:

Really? I wasn't aware of that...thought about the only stability-aiding type features my R50 had were a LSD and ABS... :confused:

As I said before and I'll say again...'02, best year evAr for Pathy's! :hide::D