Alternator questions ( too technical for forum?)

lgranch

I don't want to be insulting, but once in a while the questions on this forum get a bit on the novice side.

Is there anyone who has rebuilt their alternator? I am trying to find a voltage regulator. I know where I can find a set of brushes but they do not carry any regulators. Sometimes I have just purchased a rebuilt alternator, but the quality lately is in the toilet. These guys are trying to compete on price and they do a very poor job. As it stand right now I believe that the diodes on the alternator are starting to quit. I could buy a new unit from a Nissan dealer. but I know how to rebuild a alternator, I just need to find the parts.

Is there anyone who has upgraded their alternator for the trail? I want a high output unit that will produce at low rpm. I am willing to switch to a one wire alternator, but what does that do to the computer system. Spiking the engine rpm to get a one wire system charging is no big deal. It is my contention that in the long run the one wire systems run better and longer than the standards. However with all the computer system regulation everything I do not know what else will hate the one wire.

Hey diesel boy. you live in the middle of nowhere, what do you do about alternator issues? :bow:

I've gone through five alternators in less than five years now, with the latest alternator failure leaving me stranded in the middle of the sand dunes with no help around but the occasional passerby. I feel your pain, brother! I'm in great need of a better alternator too!

The stock Pathfinder alternator is a 60 amp unit if I'm not mistaken. I know mine is. A few companies have produced and sold bracket kits allowing you to bolt a GM/Delco C130 alternator to your Nissan with wiring upgrades. It has also been discovered that a 240SX alternator from 1993-up is a 90 amp unit and will swap into your Pathfinder if you put the Pathfinder pulley on the 240SX unit first. The Nissan Quest alternator is a 110 amp unit, requires a pulley swap as well, fits almost perfectly where the stock Pathy alternator was(some grinding on the housing is required for block clearance), and retains all the stock wiring receptacles, etc. I've heard from several other people that their Quest alternator actually is underrated and put out more like 135 amps!

What I'm going to do is: Get a junkyard Quest alternator, take it to a alternator shop and have it tested to make sure it's running properly and for output amperage, then modify it to fit into my Pathfinder. Double your stock amperage output for less than the cost of a stock replacement? I think so! I'm also installing a deep-cycle backup battery in the back of my Pathy for the rock lights, stereo, etc. One battery for 500+ watts of lighting and a 1000W stereo probably isn't QUITE enough.

On the one-wire idea: the alternators are generally in the same price range, could very possibly (as you stated) cause voltage spikes on startup or on revving, I don't really know about pulley fitment or swappability, and the case is built differently so you'd need a whole new bracket setup to bolt it onto your VG30. On the other hand, they're more readily available (most parts stores have them on hand right away) and generally have more aftermarket support(replacement parts, rewound stators, etc). So. It's up to you as to what you want to do. Let us know what other ideas you have on this subject.

i sorced a reg for my n13 pulsar for a local auto electricaian - real cheap, did it myself and also got to learn more about the way it works. any descent auto elec shop should be able to supply just parts.

Aaron you mentioned a deep cycle battery, just wanted to give you a heads up

youve gotta be careful how much you draw out of them, they really dont like high discharge, they like slow discharge over a long time. i have one in my vehicle but i only use it for my 3 way fridge. it draws about 10 amps on 12 volts, i wouldnt want to load it up much more than that, and i only use it when camping, otherwise i will be shorting its life span. btw my deep cycle is a 160 ah 20 despite what my member page says.

anyways just a heads up

;)

can some one post a pic of a quest, the name is not familiar here in oz

maybe i can eyeball it, recognise it and then get an alternater from what ever the equiv is

the more i here about the quest alternator the more i wanna do it

mmmm 100+ amps

thanks guys

Also known as a Ford Windstar minivan. 1993-1997 are the years you should look for.

Oh, and Steve...I have five more of those deep-cycle batteries in my garage, courtesy of Comcast's mismanaged recycling program. I fished them out of a dumpster after they were replaced with newer batteries. These were never used, simply float-charged for two years then tossed. Imagine that. No wonder the cable TV rates keep going up, eh?

88Path, Windstar? I don't think so. I'm quite sure that's actually made by Ford. The one you're referring to is the Mercury Villager. 100% a Nissan Quest (other than badging) Unless, of course, they named it differently in the U.S than they did in Canada.

Ha ha, middle of no where is right!!!!

Just so happens that this week im on holiday in civilisation as my partner is moving to a new job about 16 hours drive away!!!

sob :sniff:

I just had my alternator rebuilt!!

It took to days to get done, but as it happens here, if you don't catch something before it goes wrong, then you are stuck when it does because you can't drive to pick up the parts.

My voltage regulator died, $NZ 150 for an aftermarket replacement. Decided to replace brushes and bearings.

There is no problems what so ever over here to get parts for any modelof Pathfinder/terrano, the aftermarket stuff we get is usually better than the origional and alot cheaper.

My alternator has a vacuum pump on the back of it for the brakes.

Im just blabing don't really know if i can be usefull here. If you want me to send small parts like that type of thing it would be a very small ask of me!!

Cheers,

Pete.

yeah, i think mine just wen t last night...

it was idling and as soon as i turned on the headlights to move out, the engine died.

After trying to turn the key, all i get is click-click-click-click

All the light and such still work though... Sound familiar anyone?

is there a certian year or will any Quest alternator work? i would look it up but imma bout to go to work and in need of a replacment alt. mine doesnt have the amps to charge my batt and run the amps in the back. thanks for any info. hopefully i can find a cheap quest alt around here..

the quest and villager in question were assembled by ford int he U.S. and most of the parts are in fact Ford... check body panels, interior bits, etc and they are all stamped with teeny, tiny ford emblems... the drivetrains are Nissan however...

just thought I'd throw in my .02 on those vans...

so my mechanic suggests i rebuild the original alternator with 160k km on it for 100-200 doll-hairs (cdn) Do you think that would be a better route than just finding a new one??

Question for 88offroad: Are you sure your belts aren't pulling too hard on the pulley or misaligned or something causing them to fail? Beccause if not, you're one unlucky dude! Or, maybe I'm just lucky with my alternators.

Nah, I abuse them terribly. 1200+watts of stereo power, lighting wattages...hmm...110x2/55x2/55x2/85x1/running lights wattage/ECU, engine electrical, etc all add up to a LOT more than the stock alternator can put out. That and cheap rebuilt alternators aren't the best place to start. Now, where did I put the reciept for that last alternator...

BigMike: 1993-1997, like I said above.

Skrillaguerilla: Sounds like your alternator either went out on you or one of your battery terminals is loose or has a dirty connection. The lights might work, but are they at full power or are they dim? I'd look into getting a better alternator that is more of a stock alternator rather than simply rebuilding your original one...it'd cost the same but you'd still only have 60 amps. *shrug*

Hence the idea of swapping in the higher output alternator in the first place...

Are you sure your belts aren't pulling too hard on the pulley or misaligned or something causing them to fail?

88: i could also assume a couple bad pulleys were responsible for some extra wear and tear on the old alternator. Mine would have 'the squeeks' every so often and have quite a bit of pulley racket in general. So i'm going to replace those in addition to the belts, i'll let you know if it makes more effeciency.

well i got the new one installed, and she works great, running lights are nice and bright again. It turns out i needed to tighten the one belt driving i the alternator, could explain the need for replacement... otherwise, i'd assume it's from getting water/sand in it from off-roading.

Ok Guys here's One for ya.

My Dad is a OTR Truck Driver that owns his own rig. He upgraded the alt in his Peterbuilt to a 210 Amp Unit, replacing the 175 amp one. Now i might be a little sick but when i was putting my pathy back together i did test fit that sucker in there. Its the same diamater and the Pulley will work with a Little modification. the only problem is the Altenator is MUCH Longer than the Standard Alt, but it did Fit without any problems. I didnt wire it up because my dad wasnt willing to let it go... Then... . Those suckers Produce massive amperage at low RPM.. (RPM on most Cat Engines dont run much over 2,500 and thats even high. If you want a part # or something, let me know. Ill see if i can get it from my dad. And BTW these are easy to rebuild and dont Burn out that Quick. My dad's usally last him about 150,000 -200,000 Miles. For a Pathy, Thats QUITE a long time!