3.3 more durable than 3.5?

Trainman

Canadian Driver has just posted its 00-04 used Xterra review here

One section caught my eye, this comment:

"While Nissan's latest truck models have had a few teething problems, the Xterra used proven components, including a 3.3-litre V6 (170 hp) borrowed from the 1996-2000 Pathfinder. That engine gets lots of love from owners of older Pathfinders for its improved durability over the more-powerful 3.5-litre engine used in 2001-2003 versions. The 3.3-litre engine has proven just as durable in the Xterra."

Are all you 3.3 owners holding out on us 3.5s? Will my 3.5 implode at any time now? CD's reviwes are generaly pretty good but this comment seems a bit off base, what does everyone else think?

Yea I saw that few days ago and it makes no sense to me. The VQ is slightly more complicated but generally considered a fantastic engine. Doesn't it also have a timing chain instead of belt.

The only thing going for VG is it's slightly simpler an older construction... that's about it.

well, its kinda hard to kill a VG...

Let the timing belt snap :P

I think what the review is pointing out is that the issues with the 3.3 are old news, so they have mostly been addressed, but the 3.5 is still new and the long term issues it might have not come out yet. :shrug:

Let the timing belt snap :P

I think what the review is pointing out is that the issues with the 3.3 are old news, so they have mostly been addressed, but the 3.5 is still new and the long term issues it might have not come out yet. :shrug:

But the VQ has been on the "10 Best Motors" list for 12 years in a row. It is not a "new" motor in that sense.

Hmmm interesting...never heard this.

Got a link?

It's been beaten to death on Maxima.org, for one.

It's really the 2002+ when they went from the 3.0 to the 3.5.

Go to maxima.org and go into the 5.5 gen section, you'll find it.

I'm not a big Nissan fan anymore, they're like the Japanese Dodge now. :oops:

Got a link?

The reviewer posted a reply back to my post at CarTalkCanada, this is what he said (Link here):

"Got that info from one of the Nissan forums back when I did the review of the 96-00 Pathy. Don't remember which one, but it'll be one of the ones listed at the bottom of the article."

These are the links:

http://www.nissanforums.com/

http://www.nissanclub.com/

http://www.freshalloy.com/

Never heard of this one but here is what he says about it:

"This is a very popular web destination for Nissan enthusiasts. While most of the company's models get their own discussion sections, the first-gen Xterra is lumped into the "Other Nissan Trucks and SUVs" forum, so be prepared to dig for specific details on what you're curious about."

• 3 weeks later...

i'm creeping up on 160k miles on my 3.3, still runs like when i first bought it. the 3.5 in our '02 maxima is doing great...no complaints on either. for dependability and durability, i'd say they're both up there, but only time will tell. the 3.5 L has to be a very good engine considering it's in almost every mid-sized vehicle in the nissan and infiniti lines for the past few years. lots of props goes out to the engineers at nissan/infiniti for making great engines. both are good in my book =)

and we have no oil consumption/burning in our '02 maxima se...she runs like a champ. took her on numerous trips from san fran to san diego, no probs whatsoever. same with the QX4.

Got a link?

Well... you know I got a Maxima. Got an 01 and sometimes glad. Because they are alot of people with the VQ 3.5 on the 02-03 Maxima's with oil consumption, SOME massive. Nissan has even changed out a few of the Motors. Makes me happy I got the VQ 3.0... But sometimes wish I would of spent the extra couple of k... for the more power. But oh well.

Well... you know I got a Maxima. Got an 01 and sometimes glad. Because they are alot of people with the VQ 3.5 on the 02-03 Maxima's with oil consumption, SOME massive. Nissan has even changed out a few of the Motors. Makes me happy I got the VQ 3.0... But sometimes wish I would of spent the extra couple of k... for the more power. But oh well.

Just in Maxima's?

I do not think anyone here has complained about oil consumption on the Pathfinder version of the VQ.

A new oil burning fellow showed up today. Lost 2.5 quarts in 2 months. I think it might be more a Maxima thing. I guess different implementations. My old R50 did not burn and it was a VQ35 and you are hearing nothing of this with the RWD implementations like the Infiniti's..

A new oil burning fellow showed up today. Lost 2.5 quarts in 2 months. I think it might be more a Maxima thing. I guess different implementations. My old R50 did not burn and it was a VQ35 and you are hearing nothing of this with the RWD implementations like the Infiniti's..

deng that's scary. i check the fluids weekly for all of our vehicles. i'll see if anything changes with our '02 maxima. *knocks on wood*

Well.., been proved wrong.  RWD VQ35 have the issue as well.

350Z Oil Consumption

my uncle just told me about a similar thread for his 350z. he said that it is indeed common in the 3.5's, but luckily not in his. that's an annoying issue though.

maybe it is an issue with HOW the owners break in their engines like the one guy said in the above listed forum? maybe there's a part that's a little more sensitive to the break-in period...a little more sensitive than in other engines? i mean hey, the 3.5 is surprisingly powerful, it takes a lot of will power to stay off of the gas pedal and unleash its fury =P

Edited by QuismO

My rear tires are about totally shot, so looks like I will be ordering some rubber for my 19" Hiro's soon Gonna wait till the egine swap is done tho

I didn't shell out 30 G's to have a rebuilt motor in my car 6 months after I drove it off the lot.

LOL