CV boots done

SteeevO

went to change to oil today and noticed that my CV boots are shot.. the greaewe was slattered everywhere underneath...

so the dealer is gonna out in an order for 2 new inner CV boots in the morning. for the kit it's $40 per boot...

are there aftermerket cv boots? and also do i have to remove the whole rotor and spindle assy. to replace the boots??

if i do that sucks cause i just got all the 4WD conversion done a few weeks ago...now i gotta tear it all back appart again this weekend :(

are there aftermerket cv boots? and also do i have to remove the whole rotor and spindle assy. to replace the boots??

I got my CV boots outta Canadian Tire which is basicaly an all purpose hardware/automotive/household superstore here in Cold Beer Drinking Canada.

Have you actually called any places like NAPA?

The easiest way of doing this would be to undo the upper balljoint from upper a-arm or unbolt the a-arm from the frame. If that doesn't give you enough room to take the halfshaft out, undo the lower balljoint from the lower control arm as well.

I found that to take the halfshafts off is less than an hour. It's the taking the CVs apart, cleaning them and regreasing and then drunkenly putting them back together takes a bit more time.

EDIT: sweet lord man... can you make your sig any longer?

Edited by Filthy Luker

thnx guys.. i was supposed to go up to cleghorn ridge today...guess thats not gonna happend.. i'm gonna try to knock out these boots tonight and try to go tomorrow.

Not sure about Nissan's but I know awhile back we used to use CV boot kits on older BMW's that allowed you to change everything without removing the joint itself. I believe the boot was designed in such a way that it basically opened up, slipped over everything thing, then you clamped it together. Worked very well and was not a half ass type of thing. It accomplished what you wanted to do very simply.

well i got it all taken care of except for one thing.. on the passenger side i can't get the last snap ring back into the groove before putting the hub back on.. i have had problems with this before. it seems as if the shaft coming through the rotor is too short.. i but i know that is not the case as it has fit in the past.. getting frustrated.. going up to cleghorn tomorrow afternoon... if i can get the frigg'n snap ring in...

any advice??

thnx

Not sure about Nissan's but I know awhile back we used to use CV boot kits on older BMW's that allowed you to change everything without removing the joint itself. I believe the boot was designed in such a way that it basically opened up, slipped over everything thing, then you clamped it together. Worked very well and was not a half ass type of thing. It accomplished what you wanted to do very simply.

Those are pretty genaric, but I wouldn't trust them for more than a temporary fix on our trucks, if even at all.

when i took the whole knuckle assy. off i never took the washer out .. it stuck in the grease. unless my dad $#%@ with it... dang looks likei might have to take it appart ust to check

I haven't heard anything good about these zip-boots.

When I replaced mine the replacement boot kits were only $10 or so at the local NAPA :shrug:

All in all once your in there it isn't very hard to just remove the whole axle to replace the boots. It'll last a lot longer that way as well. :aok:

Mine were $12 per boot from CarQuest.

Steeevo, is your upper balljoint/UCA bolted in yet? If the knuckle/brakes are still dropped down too far the axle won't slip all the way through. Jack it up a little more under the LCA.

i had it jacked up pretty far, it was lifting the car off of the jack stand it was on...

i'm thinking that i am going to put in new wheel bearings and make sure that everything is tightend properly.

aw crap.. i had teh frigg'n sway bar on it prolly wasn't letting it move enough.. i'm an idiot.. [Goes to Garage banging head with a hammer]

ok yeah n/m that diddn't help.

i'm gonna loosen torsion bars a little. take off sway bar and jack it up friggn high.

then beat it.

end of thread

Edited by SteeevO