CA and FED emissions equipment differences

SteeevO

i just got done reading some smog stuff for cali and found out that an engine that was in a FED vehicle cannot be put into a CA vehicle...

ooops... i recently did that not knowing that that was illeagal...

i know that the emissions equipments is different on CA and FED pathys but what specifically is different?

am i in big trouble? or screwed for next time i have to get it smoged?

and will i pass smog with a hybrid vg30/vg33 engine?

probibly not, only because the standered is held for the year of the vehical no matter the engine... I would recommend getting a really good cat just to put on for the smog tests. Then put the orig back on later... but yeah, I am looking at the shop manual now... and yeah, I see here they also run a completly different set up on the ecm. They programed in a complete diagonstic set up for the EGR system (lots and lots of uneeded sensors), and all the other crap that's on cali's ... so don't know what to tell ya man... just hope that a really good cat does the trick...

well.. for starters.. pathys are smog test only here in cali which means MUCH stricter rules, and they check all the numbers of the motor n stuff to make sure it;s the motor for that vehicle.. you can however go to a referee and have then change to the vg33..... then you will be smogged as such. a 33 won't pass smog regulations for a vg30... or i am pretty damn sure it won't...... i know how strict the rules are.. they suck....... and they're anal...... and i hate them.... and that's what makes me want to move and drop a 350 in my pathy and not have to smog it and be done with CA forever.........

*ahem* sorry.... lost myself there....... umm.. call a smog test only station or your dmv and ask......

extreme: where were you looking to see the differences?

FYI i'm running the CA ECU w/ the FED engine, or atleast the title from the donor vehicle of the engine said FED on it but i got the pathy and it had cali plates...

Or make reeeeeealy good friends with the emissions tester.... "Oh wow, there's a case of beer in the back of my pathy... that's wierd"

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't help you"

"WHAT! AND A 40 OF JB!!! WOW!"

"Hmm.. lets see here... *check* *check* *check*... Have a nice day"

Or make reeeeeealy good friends with the emissions tester.... "Oh wow, there's a case of beer in the back of my pathy... that's wierd"

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't help you"

"WHAT! AND A 40 OF JB!!! WOW!"

"Hmm.. lets see here... *check* *check* *check*... Have a nice day"

Its not that easy anymore.....

ooops... i recently did that not knowing that that was illeagal...

didnt know that either...looks like my swap is going to be illegal but they dont smog us or nething B4 96 so either way putting the 95 in the 87 should save me a lil bit...although i am going to place the diagrams under the hood so they match whats under there...if not i can find some1 to pass it im sure

Put all the equipment that was on the original vehicle on there, make sure it is all working right, and take it in for test without saying a word. Having ricer goo-gaws all over the engine, big 3.3 badges on the fenders, or a super loud exhaust are all bad ideas. The idea is to look bone stock and OE original as possible.

If it looks like the original engine, has all the equipment of the original engine, and meets the emissions requirements of the original engine, you should be fine. MOST techs don't want to fail you. They just want to do the test, give you the cert, and get you out of there asap to maximize their profits. It certainly will NOT hurt to ask around about the various smog check shops in your area. Some are very lenient, most are reasonable, some are A-holes. Pick wisely.

If they actually run serial numbers on the engine (I've yet to see or hear of a tech doing that yet), play dumb.

play dumb.

uhh i donno man i bought this truck and this is what was in there...so what would $20 do for me about this lil issue...

at least here in NC they're not too crazy yet...in charlotte they're rediculous compared to my hometown (fayetteville) where they never did anything but honk the horn and turn on some turn signals and if ure windows are rolled down its "what tint i dont see any tint do u"

• 11 months later...

Yesterday was D-day..... yeah.. anyone got any tips? and only a few days b4 the SAS begins..... i was going to keep that a secret and surprise you all with pictures.. :D

but... no pass smog... no SAS

so what ever came of all of this?...I'm getting closer and closer now to having to take mine in...I went through the FSM and there are a lot of extra sensors and crap on the Cali model and the ECU maps are different...I am finally here in Ca...Worked a lot on the truck last weekend...still have a coolant leak and SES light to take care of...lemmie know what kind of problems they give u and how u fixed it...

I just needed a new cat. it passed just this morning. but my fed engine for some reason has all the smog stuff on it...

Let the SAS Begin!!

Edited by SteeevO

well.. for starters.. pathys are smog test only here in cali which means MUCH stricter rules, and they check all the numbers of the motor n stuff to make sure it;s the motor for that vehicle.. you can however go to a referee and have then change to the vg33..... then you will be smogged as such. a 33 won't pass smog regulations for a vg30... or i am pretty damn sure it won't...... i know how strict the rules are.. they suck....... and they're anal...... and i hate them.... and that's what makes me want to move and drop a 350 in my pathy and not have to smog it and be done with CA forever.........

*ahem* sorry.... lost myself there....... umm.. call a smog test only station or your dmv and ask......

well Then I am lucky cause my pathy in not test only. Actually I do not own a single car that is test only. we will see if that changes though(in 2 years). Funny thing is I always take my cars to a test only place anyways even though I don't have to. Why Because this guy is the laziest smog guy I have ever seen. I don't think he even does a visual test. I had a major exhaust leak when he did mine (before I did the headers and fixed it) and he did not even care. I don't think this guy would check anything let alone numbers off the engine.

Mark