Siping tires

cdhicks99

you get better traction in crappy weather, but it also wears the tires quicker.

my michelins have slight siping.... you can have it done or buy them with it.. on some makes of tire it's an option. my iroks were also siped. ;)

if you do a lot of rock crawling or some such activity then maybe siping is for you. for a DD. i don't recommend it.. 2 buddies have siped tires n damn where did the tread go? :blink:

Edited by Slick

Not worth it. Just get a good tire.

TSL's arfe great off-road but need some help on-road.

I read that by siping the TSL's people actually got more miles out them due to the cooling effect of the sipes. Let me find that link.

The theory behind sipping is afaik, increased traction and decreased wear.

Increased traction I can personally vouch for.

Just after the interchange from I5 on to SR599 in the So Seattle area, there is a semi blind left hand 60mph corner. I came flying around that one day in the rain (going just under 60) with an S10 blazer behind me and some other small pickup behind him (all 4x4's). On the exit from the corner we found that traffic had come to a dead stop just ahead... stood on the brakes trying to stop and felt all four shoes start to skid. Let up just enough to get them rolling again and then right back on them. Luckily we were all able to stop.

Couples days later I was near Discount Tire (where I bought two of my tires) and figured I would have them rotate the tires this time. They looked at them and tossed out the option. I returned with some "I'm skeptical" questions and ended up with a "I'll do these for free" :aok:

A couple weeks later I found myself on the same stretch of road, during heavier rain but with far less traffic on the road. So decided to test the tires, hit the corner a bit over 60 this time (with no one behind me) and stomped on the brakes just as before…. No skidding this time… at all. So yeah, I say it makes a difference!

Before anyone asks or says anything, yes I can lock them up and have since (btw no ABS) but the point here was to test them in nearly identical conditions on the exact same portion of road, clear down to the same lane.

Tire wear? I have not noticed any drastic tire wear after having them cut. :shrug:

As Red demonstrated, I have found it aids wet and ice traction on asphalt considerably. Also helps on dry rocks as well. Benefits on dry asphalt is not as noticeable (a bit quieter and lasts longer), and effectively no benefit in mud.

Very few come pre siped because it is time consuming to do and adds cost. Molded sipes are not as effective as cut sipes. Most consumers are too clueless to realize how much benefit they would get for the added cost and will not buy the better tires. The Wal-Mart mentality screws us again....

The exception is the severe service winter tires, like Blizzaks. They are seriously siped. And lo and behold, they do cost more.

Me? Based on my experiences and the results I've had, I sipe almost ALL of my tires and will continue to do so. The only exception are the gumballs on the BMW - their wet weather traction is already unbelievable, and we do not drive it in ice or snow. We have winter tires for that.

I need to get my Cooper STT's siped. They are fine in the dry, but like all M/T's, their wet asphalt performance is absolutely horrible.

Well this sucks!

Looks like I'm going to have to manually sipe my tires. No one around here has even heard of it :wacko:

go to an off road shop. they'll know what yer talking about ;)

mr. tire and pomps tires here do it and we are in the piddly population area in the u.p.

normally a local tire shop should have a machine that does it i think. try yellow pages uneder tires and call the best looking ones like pomps tire or mr tire, not bobs tires or or hillbilly tire service or scottys tire and muffler.